Jennifer Lopez Recalls 'Panicking' Over Baby Emme's Health Scare
- Photo: Janet Mayer/Splash News1 of 27
- Photo: Bruja/Pacific Coast News2 of 27
- Photo: Bruja/Pacific Coast News3 of 27
- Photo: Mike Jachles/Splash News4 of 27
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin5 of 27
- Photo: KADENA PIX/Bauer-Griffin6 of 27
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin7 of 27
- Photo: EP - NO CREDIT/Bauer-Griffin8 of 27
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin9 of 27
- Photo: ELIOT PRESS/Bauer-Griffin10 of 27
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP11 of 27
- Photo: Dan MacMedan/WireImage12 of 27
- Photo: NC1/WENN13 of 27
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage14 of 27
- Photo: Splash/WireImage15 of 27
- Photo: Interscope/Promotional16 of 27
- Photo: INB/WENN17 of 27
- Photo: Fame Pictures18 of 27
- Photo: John Spellman / Retna Ltd/Retna Ltd.19 of 27
- Photo: INB/WENN20 of 27
- Photo: INB/WENN21 of 27
- Photo: Fame Pictures22 of 27
- Photo: Fame Pictures23 of 27
- Photo: Fame Pictures24 of 27
- Photo: Fame Pictures25 of 27
- Photo: Fame Pictures26 of 27
Days after welcoming twins Emme and Max in February 2008, Jennifer Lopez discovered a mysterious lump on her little girl's head.
"I just remember that feeling, 'If something is wrong with that baby ... I'm gonna die,'" Lopez, 42, tells CNN's Alina Cho in a special airing of "Big Stars, Big Giving" (in a quote excerpted by the New York Post), next weekend.
The singer, actress and "American Idol" judge admits in the interview that she and husband Marc Anthony were initially at a complete loss.
"I remember looking at Marc and [thinking] we should call the doctor. ... I started panicking a little bit." Anthony, 43 (they announced their split this past July) was "panicking too," she recalls.
"We were thinking, 'Did somebody drop her when we weren't looking?' ... I just remember looking at him and saying if this baby, if Emme's not going to be OK ... I'm not going to be OK."
Latin crooner Anthony wasn't any calmer, she reveals. "He's like, 'I'm not going to be OK. None of us are going to be OK."
The duo then rushed little Emme to the hospital. "Luckily for us, it turned out OK," she reports.
But the scare inspired action in the star. "I was [thinking], like ... What if I didn't have access to great health care?" she ponders. "What if I was a mom just sitting there and there was something wrong with my baby and there was nothing I could do about it?"
The superstar couple then founded the Maribel Foundation -- named after Anthony's sister Maribel, who died of brain cancer at age 8 -- to provide pediatric care to those in need.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Keira Knightley, Lindsay Lohan, and Evangeline Lilly all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
From Renee Zellweger to Mary-Kate Olsen, see more celebs who look much different than before.Watch Video »
Kim Kardashian and North do their best "paparazzi face" on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Reese Witherspoon goes "Wild" on today's Celebs Gone Social hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSmooch Shot
From Crowd Ignite