Kanye West's granddad was dying at time of paparazzo clash
- Photo: FANA/Splash News1 of 10
- Photo: Fame Flynet2 of 10
- Photo: Hayk/Splash News3 of 10
- Photo: Nicolas Briquet/StarTraks4 of 10
- Photo: SPH/WENN5 of 10
- Photo: Premiere/Fame Flynet6 of 10
- Photo: GIA/WENN7 of 10
- Photo: CHP/Fame Flynet8 of 10
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/Rex USA9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Rapper Kanye West had just learned his grandfather was dying when he lost his temper and clashed with a paparazzo outside Los Angeles International Airport in July.
West is facing battery and attempted grand theft charges after he allegedly tried to grab snapper Daniel Ramos' camera and wrestle him to the ground during an altercation this summer.
In court papers, West claimed he acted in self-defense after fearing his safety was at risk, and now he has opened up about what prompted him to spin out of control, insisting Ramos purposefully tried to get a reaction out of him -- and he succeeded because he was so upset.
RELATED: Dumbest celebrity denials
Speaking to a X17 videographer at a gas station in Calabasas, California on Friday, he explained, "The guy (Ramos) set me up at the airport the other day. You know he was [expletive] laughing and [expletive]... That's the day that I found out my grandfather was not gonna make it. He passed two weeks later. But when I'm coming out the airport, because it's Kanye or whatever, (paparazzi think), 'We're gonna [expletive] with him, we're gonna antagonize him.'
"I tried to stop his camera and stuff, he fell down, faked it, then people are talking about, 'Oh, yo, why'd you hit that guy?' I obviously didn't hit the guy, but I'm going through [expletive] (in my personal life)..."
West also admitted he wanted to stand up to the rude snappers to protect his baby girl with girlfriend Kim Kardashian after hearing how one photographer had called Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' daughter Suri a "dog, a little brat kid" during a summer outing in New York.
He added, "My family is growing up. If you had a daughter, and you guys say crazy [expletive] to me all the time, and you say it to my family... I couldn't imagine my daughter being four years old and you guys screaming at her. I think somebody screamed at Tom Cruise's daughter or something like that...
"We're in this together; you guys help me influence, you help with the family, you help Kim's power and everything, so I'm not trying to [expletive] be at you guys in any type of negative way and I don't want you guys to be negative at me and I would prefer if we just had a decent relationship, you know?"
The rapper faces up to a year behind bars if convicted of the battery and theft charges.
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite