Katy Perry after Russell Brand divorce: 'Should I continue living?'
- Photo: Â© RD/ Kabik/ Retna Digital/Retna Digital1 of 15
- Photo: James Coldrey/StarTraks2 of 15
- Photo: Getty Images North America3 of 15
- Photo: WireImage4 of 15
- Photo: Lia Toby/WENN5 of 15
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage6 of 15
- Photo: FS2/WENN7 of 15
- Photo: Paul Redmond/WireImage8 of 15
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage9 of 15
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage10 of 15
- Photo: JB Lacroix/WireImage11 of 15
- Photo: Todd Williamson/WireImage12 of 15
- Photo: Charley Gallay/WireImage13 of 15
- Photo: Alexandra Wyman/WireImage14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Katy Perry's life is completely different compared to just two years ago. While promoting her upcoming third studio album Prism, the 28-year-old pop star gave a sneak peek into her life with boyfriend John Mayer -- and why he's such a smarty pants, shedding some light on just how her life has changed since her divorce from comedian Russell Brand.
"He literally is a genius, as is evident from his songwriting," the "Roar" singer told Billboard in its latest issue about Mayer. "I always tell him, 'Darling, you know I'm going to have to give your mind to science after you've passed, because we're going to have to understand how all these sparks work.'"
One of the reasons Perry finds the 35-year-old "Say" singer so smart? He's a puzzle master! "We'll be in bed, and he'll be doing the crossword puzzle. Every night, he tries to finish it in under 10 minutes. When he puts his mind to something, he really gets it done very well. I always ask for his help."
The "Firework" star is focused on her new album -- set to hit stores Oct. 22 -- and is on a different path from just two years ago. In the Billboard interview, Perry also dishes on when veteran journalist Barbara Walters threw "shade" at her during Walters' Most Fascinating People of 2011 special. At the time, Perry knew her 14-month marriage to husband Brand was close to being over, and now admits she wish she never sat down for the chat.
"I shouldn't have done the interview: I was playing Madison Square Garden that same night, and I knew that the end of my marriage was coming," she recalled. "I'd prepped everyone that I was running late, but Barbara showed up at the original time anyway. When I got there, I apologized immediately, but then she said to me, 'You know, I've only ever waited for one other person this long, and you know who that person was? Judy Garland. You know how she turned out, right?'"
Perry added: "I was like, 'Oh, snap! Yes, bitch!' I think it's the coolest thing that Barbara Walters shaded me. I just couldn't tell her as we were sitting down for a mega-interview, 'Hey, my marriage is falling apart. Give me a break.'"
Brand, 38, would later file for divorce on Dec. 30, 2011, just two weeks after the special aired. The difficult situation she experienced at the time would soon lead to fighting off suicidal thoughts, written about in her upcoming "By the Grace of God" track. "That song is evident of how tough it really was at a certain point. I asked myself, 'Do I want to endure? Should I continue living?'" she said. "All the songs are real-life moments. I can only write autobiographically. I put all the evidence in the music. I tell my fans if they want to know the real truth about stuff, just listen to the songs."
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite