L.A. D.A.: No charges in leak of Rihanna beating photo
- Photo: DR2/WENN1 of 12
- Photo: WENN/WireImage2 of 12
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage.com3 of 12
- Photo: Theo Wargo/WireImage4 of 12
- Photo: badgalriri/Instagram5 of 12
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin6 of 12
- Photo: Awais/PacificCoastNews.com7 of 12
- Photo: Optic Photos/PacificCoastNews.com8 of 12
- Photo: CANE/GSI9 of 12
- Photo: Michael Jaworski/WENN10 of 12
- Photo: NO CREDIT/Bauer-Griffin11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Two Los Angeles police officers won't face criminal charges alleging they leaked a photo of pop star Rihanna's bruised and beaten face after she was assaulted by singer Chris Brown, the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said.
An internal report by prosecutors says that after a three-year investigation, they didn't have enough evidence to show celebrity news website TMZ paid the accused officers for the photo, and that became an obstacle in charging them.
The Associated Press report obtained a copy of the March 28 report on Thursday after its contents were first reported by the Los Angeles Times.
Officers Blanca Lopez and Rebecca Reyes may still get fired. They are slated to appear before disciplinary panels in August.
Brown, who was Rihanna's boyfriend at the time, was arrested on suspicion of beating the Grammy winner on Feb. 8, 2009, leaving her bloody and bruised.
The "Umbrella" and "Only Girl (in the World)" songstress, whose full name is Robyn Rihanna Fenty, canceled her Grammy performance scheduled for the next day.
Brown pleaded guilty to attacking Rihanna and was ordered to serve five years on supervised probation and to complete six months of community service including roadside cleanup, graffiti removal and manual labor.
RELATED: Rihanna Gets 16th Tattoo
Prosecutors allege the photo was leaked after a stack of photographs of Rihanna's injuries was left lying on a desk at the Wilshire police station and Reyes took a picture of the top photo with her phone.
Prosecutors say Reyes later emailed the image from her LAPD email address to her personal email address.
Reyes and Lopez were roommates at the time, and phone records showed that they made multiple phone calls to Fox Television and TMZ in February.
The photo shocked fans and prompted a national conversation about domestic violence after it spread through the media.
But despite a search of Reyes' and Lopez's bank accounts, a money trail was not discovered tying the leak to them, prosecutors said.
In order to prove the officers broke the law, prosecutors said in the report they "must prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Reyes and Lopez disclosed the image of Robyn F. (Rihanna) to TMZ and obtained money in exchange for this disclosure."
The prosecutors' report noted that other LAPD personnel had access to the photos.
"As such, although both Reyes and Lopez's actions are suspicious, they are insufficient to support a criminal prosecution," the report says.
Rihanna's attorney Donald Etra said Thursday he does not know at this time whether the singer wants to pursue any further legal action.
"Apparently this was an internal decision by the district attorney. A victim's privacy should be protected," Etra said.
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStork Report
From Crowd Ignite