Lorde's Parents Vic and Sonja get engaged at Niagara Falls after 30 years together
- Photo: Lester Cohen/WireImage1 of 7
- Photo: Sean O'Neill/Pacific Coast News2 of 7
- Photo: Invision/AP3 of 7
- Photo: Rex USA4 of 7
- Photo: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP5 of 7
- Photo: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
One year after she made a name for herself with the release of her hit song "Royals," Lorde has finally seen "a diamond in the flesh" -- and in a very special way.
The chart-topping singer took to Twitter on June 16, to share some exciting personal news, which involved a sparkling gemstone.
"BEST DAY," Lorde tweeted. "Went to Niagara Falls - my dad proposed to my mum after almost 30 years together."
The 17-year-old wunderkind went on to add a sequence of emojis to express her joy, including heart characters, a diamond ring, a rose, and love-filled smiley faces.
Lorde's father, Vic O'Connor, who is a civil engineer, proposed to her mother, poet Sonja Yelich, at the famed natural attraction.
After sharing the news of the proposal, Lorde acknowledged the irony of "Royals" beginning with the lyrics, "I've never seen a diamond in the flesh / I cut my teeth on wedding rings in the movies / And I'm not proud of my address / In a torn-up town, no postcode envy."
"Inevitable response yes I know I have seen a diamond now," she tweeted.
Lorde has spoken of her close relationship with her newly engaged parents in the past, telling Interview magazine about their guidance last year, "My parents are really onto it; they know what young people need. My mum takes my iPhone off me at night, because I need to do homework and sleep, otherwise I'd spend all night on Facebook and Instagram. My parents are pretty good; they understand what I really want. If I do decide to leave school at the end of this year, that's a bridge we'll cross."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTUnder Pressure
From Crowd Ignite