Melissa Etheridge clarifies Jolie surgery comments
- Photo: Rene Macura/Invision/AP1 of 12
- Photo: WENN2 of 12
- Photo: Charles Sykes/Invision/AP3 of 12
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP4 of 12
- Photo: JM11/WENN5 of 12
- Photo: Walter McBride/Retna Ltd.6 of 12
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage7 of 12
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/Getty Images North America8 of 12
- Photo: James Devaney/WireImage9 of 12
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP10 of 12
- Photo: Invision/AP11 of 12
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Singer Melissa Etheridge has clarified her controversial comments about Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy, insisting she did not mean to criticize the actress for undergoing the preventative surgery.
Jolie made the decision after discovering she carries the "faulty" BRCA1 gene, which doctors estimated gave her an 87 percent chance of developing breast cancer, but the "Come to My Window" star, a breast cancer survivor herself, hit headlines this week when she cautioned women in similar situations against blindly following the Hollywood actress' lead.
RELATED: Voting: Brad Pitt's looks
She told the Washington Blade newspaper, "I have to say I feel a little differently (than Jolie). I have that gene mutation too and it's (a double mastectomy) not something I would believe in for myself. I wouldn't call it the brave choice. I actually think it's the most fearful choice you can make when confronting anything with cancer."
RELATED: Stars With Twin Kids
The musician's remarks took Jolie's fiance Brad Pitt by surprise when he learned of her comments on Monday, during the New York premiere of his new film "World War Z," but he insisted Etheridge was "an old friend of mine" and expressed interest in discussing the matter with her in private, telling UsMagazine.com, "I'm sure we'll talk on the phone."
However, Etheridge, 52, has since released a statement, claiming her words were misconstrued.
The statement reads: "I don't have any opinion on what she 'should have' done. All are free to choose, I only objected to the term 'brave' describing it."
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite