Miley Cyrus: I wanted to leave Liam Hemsworth in February 2013, talks 'hard time'
- Photo: Fashion Magazine/.1 of 24
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage2 of 24
- Photo: Twitter3 of 24
- Photo: Premiere/Fame Flynet4 of 24
- Photo: FS2/WENN5 of 24
- Photo: Kabik/Retna Digital6 of 24
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 24
- Photo: JE1/WENN8 of 24
- Photo: Gotcha Images/Splash News9 of 24
- Photo: Dean/NPG10 of 24
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks11 of 24
- Photo: MiamiPIXX/SBMF/Fame Flynet12 of 24
- Photo: WENN13 of 24
- Photo: WENN/WireImage.com14 of 24
- Photo: FameFlynetUK/Fame Flynet15 of 24
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/Invision/AP16 of 24
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage17 of 24
- Photo: Chelsea Lauren/Getty Images North America18 of 24
- Photo: Instagram/.19 of 24
- Photo: Miley Cyrus/Promotional20 of 24
- Photo: @mileycyrus/Twitter21 of 24
- Photo: Rolling Stone/.22 of 24
- Photo: JE1/WENN23 of 24
Well, this shouldn't come as a huge surprise. Six months before they officially called off their engagement and on-and-off four-year relationship, Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth were, like, so totally on the brink of breaking up -- so says Cyrus herself in a new interview for the November issue of Canada's Fashion magazine. The "Wrecking Ball" singer, 20, says that she wanted to end things with the Australian hunk, 23, back in February of this year.
The envelope-shredding singer dealt with the anguish in song, penning the track "Drive" as she struggled in vain to the dump her former "Last Song" co-star. "I wrote it while I was working on Valentine's Day -- emotionally it was such a hard time," reveals Cyrus. The song is "about needing to leave someone, but not really wanting to completely cut yourself off from the relationship. It's a time when you want to leave, but you can't. It's also about moving on."
Alas, the pair finally did give up the ghost, confirming their split earlier this month. Cyrus also opens up to Fashion about -- what else? -- her MTV Video Music Awards performance. As she tells it, the originally planned performance with Robin Thicke was far more extreme than what audiences saw.
"I was trying to slap Robin's a-- but no one saw it! Believe me! MTV edited so much," she says. "They cut almost everything I did. I'm proud of that performance. I feel like music is really stale right now."
She snipes of her fellow performers that night (which included Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, Kanye West, Drake and others): "I could have guessed what a lot of artists would have done that night. The reaction to what I did has been insane. I think it was a breath of fresh air! For the people that don't get it, you weren't meant to."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
From Nicole Richie to Miley Cyrus, check out these embarrassing celebrity bikini malfunctions!Watch Video »
Kristen Stewart, Keira Knightley, and Christina Hendricks all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Find out all about Taylor Swift's cute date night and more on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
David Beckham takes off his shirt for his fans at an LA Galaxy game.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
See the latest celeb wardrobe malfunctions.Watch Video »