National Enquirer Publishes Photo of Whitney Houston in Her Casket
- Photo: National Enquirer/.1 of 18
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP2 of 18
- Photo: Warner Bros.3 of 18
- Photo: Mel Evans/Invision/AP4 of 18
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP5 of 18
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP6 of 18
- Photo: Rich Schultz/Invision/AP7 of 18
- Photo: Mel Evans/Invision/AP8 of 18
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP9 of 18
- Photo: Starstock/Photoshot Photo/Retna Ltd.10 of 18
- Photo: © Chris Walter/Retna Ltd.11 of 18
- Photo: © Larry Busacca/Retna Ltd.12 of 18
- Photo: Bill Davila/Retna Ltd.13 of 18
- Photo: Bill Davila/Retna Ltd.14 of 18
- Photo: Invision/AP15 of 18
- Photo: Invision/AP16 of 18
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage17 of 18
By Chris Gardner
In a controversial move, National Enquirer has published a photo of Whitney Houston in an open coffin with the headline, "Whitney: The Last Photo!"
The picture was reportedly taken during Houston's private wake, held Friday inside Whigham Funeral Home in Newark, N.J. Only close friends and family were invited to the service, and it's unclear who took the photo. The Enquirer is known to pay large sums of money for private photos.
According to the Enquirer, Houston is pictured wearing her favorite purple dress, more than $500,000 in jewelry and gold slippers. On the inside liner of the casket, Houston's famous nickname "Nippy" is visible and surrounded by music notes.
RELATED: Friends Remember Whitney Houston
Reactions on Twitter have been flooding in, with users alleging that the Enquirer "crossed the line" and "disrespected" the late Houston by running such a private photo. It's not the first time the Enquirer has published a picture of a late entertainer in their casket: The tabloid ran a similar photo of Elvis Presley after he died in 1977.
Houston passed away on Feb. 11, 2012, in a bathtub at Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, Calif., at the age of 48. She was celebrated during a funeral service on Feb. 18 at New Hope Baptist Church in Newark and was laid to rest the following day in a plot next to her father.
RELATED: In Memoriam: Whitney Houston
Beyonce rocks a one-piece, plus more of the best celeb swimsuit moments of summer 2015 thus far on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Bellamy Young chats attachment to her "Scandal" wig, dishes on her hopes for season five and more!Watch Video »
From Taylor Swift to Diane Kruger, check out the celebs with the best summer street style!Watch Video »
Check out Diane Kruger, Elizabeth Banks, and Kendall Jenner's style statements on OMG Celeb Fashion hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Learn how you can get Jennifer Lawrence's fresh-faced glow at home on the latest episode of Wonderwall.com's DIY Celeb Makeup.Watch Video »
Jada Pinkett Smith, Amber Heard and co-stars dish on what it was like on set of "Magic Mike XXL" with Wonderwall.com's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTSweet Kisses
From Crowd Ignite