NY judge: Kanye West likely to win Coinye lawsuit
- Photo: Nicolas Briquet/StarTraks1 of 13
- Photo: Fame Flynet2 of 13
- Photo: 247PapsTV/Splash News3 of 13
- Photo: FREDDIE BAEZ/StarTraks4 of 13
- Photo: Stoianov/Pablo/FAMEFLYNET PICTUR/Fame Flynet5 of 13
- Photo: @kimkardashian/Instagram6 of 13
- Photo: SETH BROWARNIK/StarTraks7 of 13
- Photo: FilmMagic8 of 13
- Photo: JDH Imagez/Splash News9 of 13
- Photo: North Woods/Splash News10 of 13
- Photo: 247PapsTV/Splash News11 of 13
- Photo: SPH/WENN12 of 13
NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York judge says Kanye West's lawyers can do the research necessary to learn the identities of the creators of digital currency called Coinye West.
U.S. District Judge Analisa Torres on Thursday granted the "Gold Digger" rapper's lawyers the legal authority to learn who will face a lawsuit saying the bitcoins were created to cash in on his fame.
The lawsuit was filed this week in Manhattan federal court and seeks unspecified damages.
The judge says there's a likelihood West will succeed with his claims. She says West's lawyers were told by Coinye West website operators they are anonymous and will keep it that way.
RELATED: Mood swings and more celeb chatter
One of the websites targeted by the lawsuit put up a message after the lawsuit was filed saying: "COINYE IS DEAD. You win, Kanye."
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is up to today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »