Placido Domingo in hospital in Spain with embolism
- Photo: P Anastasselis/Rex USA1 of 2
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Chris Talbott, AP Music Writer
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Opera singer Placido Domingo is in the hospital after suffering a blockage in an artery of the lungs.
RELATED: Mariah Carey hospitalized
Domingo's representative says the 72-year-old is expected to make a full recovery but will have to miss several appearances scheduled for later this month. He was admitted to the hospital Monday in Madrid.
Doctors say the pulmonary embolism was caused by a blood clot.
The singer's representative, Nancy Seltzer, says doctors have asked the Spanish tenor and conductor to rest for three to four weeks, but that healing time varies. His return to the stage will depend on how quickly he regains his strength.
RELATED: Lou Reed hospitalized in New York
It's not the first time Domingo has faced a serious medical condition.
Domingo returned to the stage just 45 days after undergoing colon cancer surgery in 2010 and has maintained a vigorous schedule and displayed an uncommon vitality at an age when most stars have stepped away from the spotlight.
He is the most visible opera singer in the world and has performed more than 140 roles, expanding his repertoire to include baritone roles in the past half-decade. The Three Tenors member also recently was named the new goodwill ambassador for the U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization for his efforts in spreading classical music around the world.
Domingo has canceled his five performances in Daniel Catan's "Il Postino," which were to begin July 17 at the Teatro Real in Madrid, as well as an appearance on July 21 at Plaza Mayor.
RELATED: Randy Travis undergoes heart surgery
Get out the vote
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStork Report
From Crowd Ignite