Seal: Staying together for the kids isn't necessarily the best
- Photo: SWAP / Splash News/Splash News1 of 18
- Photo: Twitter2 of 18
- Photo: Rabbani and Solimene Photography/WireImage3 of 18
- Photo: Soren McCarty/WireImage4 of 18
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage5 of 18
- Photo: The Ellen DeGeneres Show/Promotional6 of 18
- Photo: SAE/ZOJ/WENN7 of 18
- Photo: CNN/Promotional8 of 18
- Photo: JERC/Bauer-Griffin9 of 18
- Photo: Randy Brooke/WireImage10 of 18
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage11 of 18
- Photo: PMB/ZOJ/WENN12 of 18
- Photo: NC1/WENN13 of 18
- Photo: PMB/ZOJ/WENN14 of 18
- Photo: MS2/WENN15 of 18
- Photo: SK2/HSS/WENN16 of 18
- Photo: TF1/HSS/WENN17 of 18
In a candid interview with "Access Hollywood," Seal touches on why he and his now-estranged wife, Heidi Klum, decided not to stay together even though they have kids.
The two shocked many last weekend by confirming reports they were splitting up, and the "Kiss From a Rose" singer says he didn't want to deceive the pair's four kids by pretending nothing was wrong.
In the interview, Seal says, "You often hear couples talk about, 'We stay together because of the kids.' I don't necessarily understand how healthy that is, because kids are a lot smarter than you think they are. ... They're very intuitive. In fact, we are less intuitive than they are ... and if there is any disconnect, they pick up on it. We talk to them. We tried to explain as best we could what is going on ... just explaining to them that things will be different without going into too much detail, but a lot of things won't change."
Seal continued, "The main thing is to make sure that they feel that they're loved, make sure that they understand that their parents love each other, make sure that they understand that if there are any changes it is absolutely nothing to do with them and it won't change the amount of time. ... It may even improve the amount of time that we spend with them, quality time."
And the soul singer reiterates that the marriage fell apart because the two busy stars spent so little time together: "When you decide to be globally known, you've gotta service the globe and you just grow apart. ... You find yourself ... spending more time apart and that's just not really healthy."
Get out the vote
From Nicole Richie to Miley Cyrus, check out these embarrassing celebrity bikini malfunctions!Watch Video »
David Beckham takes off his shirt for his fans at an LA Galaxy game.Watch Video »
See the latest celeb wardrobe malfunctions.Watch Video »