Selena Gomez wears bindi a fourth time despite controversy
- Photo: Erik Pendzich/Rex USA1 of 13
- Photo: Henry Lamb/Photowire / BEImages/Rex USA2 of 13
- Photo: DANNY MOLOSHOK/Reuters3 of 13
- Photo: Jack Plunkett/Invision/AP4 of 13
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 13
- Photo: Xavier Collin/Retna Ltd.6 of 13
- Photo: Wolf/NPG7 of 13
- Photo: JXF/JXH/WENN8 of 13
- Photo: Fame Flynet9 of 13
- Photo: Diane Cohen/Fame Flynet10 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage11 of 13
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage12 of 13
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
She's not backing down. Ten days after Selena Gomez first offended some Hindus by wearing a bindi on her forehead during her Bollywood-inspired performance of "Come and Get It" at the MTV Movie Awards on April 14, the "Spring Breakers" star again sported the religious symbol for an appearance on "Late Show With David Letterman."
According to E!, Rajan Zed, leader of the Universal Society of Hinduism, issued a statement after her MTV performance, saying, "The bindi on the forehead is an ancient tradition in Hinduism and has religious significance. It's not meant to be thrown around loosely for seductive effects or as a fashion accessory aiming at mercantile greed. Selena should apologize and then she should get acquainted with the basics of world religions."
Instead of apologizing, the 20-year-old singer trotted out her bindi again the very next day, on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" and "Dancing With the Stars." And on Wednesday, singing on the "Letterman" stage, she again flaunted the religious decoration on her forehead.
During an interview with Elvis Duran on the Z100 morning show that same day, the singer finally responded to the criticism. "I think the song has that Hindu, tribal feel and I wanted to translate that," Selena explained. "I've been learning about my chakra and bindis and the culture. ... It's beautiful." (For the record, both Madonna and Gwen Stefani wore bindis in videos and photo shoots during the late '90s.)
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTUnder Pressure
From Crowd Ignite