Sir Elton John: 'I wasted a big part of my life on drugs'
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: Maurizio La Pira / Splash News/Splash News2 of 15
- Photo: Splash News3 of 15
- Photo: NO CREDIT/Bauer-Griffin4 of 15
- Photo: Jon Bond/Invision/AP5 of 15
- Photo: Bennett Raglin/GettyImages.com6 of 15
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN7 of 15
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage8 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage9 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage10 of 15
- Photo: LUCA BRUNO/Invision/AP11 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP12 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP13 of 15
- Photo: Tina Lau/Splash News14 of 15
Elton John regrets using drugs during his career as he "wasted such a big part" of his life.
RELATED: Comic-Con 2012
John was addicted to alcohol and cocaine and in 1975 he suffered an overdose, but he managed to turn his back on drugs in the 1990s.
RELATED: Stars in Weird Suits
Now, he admits he wishes he had cleaned up his act sooner so he could have enjoyed his early success. In an interview with "Today" host Matt Lauer, he says, "I wasted such a big part of my life. I was a drug addict and self-absorbed. You know, I was having people die right, left, and center around me, friends.
RELATED: Miley Cyrus Wants Baby 'Quickly'
"And yet I didn't stop the life that I had, which is the terrible thing about addiction. It's that -- you know, it's that bad of a disease."
The full interview is set to air on "Today" this week.
Get out the vote
Mandy & Minka
From girls’ nights out to working out, see how Minka Kelly is helping Mandy Moore cope post-breakup!Watch Video »
Check out Salma Hayek's most wonderfully wacky Instagram posts on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out "Teen Mom" star, Farrah Abraham's, transformation!Watch Video »
Moms' Night Out
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTPrincess Debut
From Crowd Ignite