Sir Elton John: 'I wasted a big part of my life on drugs'
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP1 of 15
- Photo: Maurizio La Pira / Splash News/Splash News2 of 15
- Photo: Splash News3 of 15
- Photo: NO CREDIT/Bauer-Griffin4 of 15
- Photo: Jon Bond/Invision/AP5 of 15
- Photo: Bennett Raglin/GettyImages.com6 of 15
- Photo: Daniel Deme/WENN7 of 15
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage8 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage9 of 15
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage10 of 15
- Photo: LUCA BRUNO/Invision/AP11 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP12 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP13 of 15
- Photo: Tina Lau/Splash News14 of 15
Elton John regrets using drugs during his career as he "wasted such a big part" of his life.
RELATED: Comic-Con 2012
John was addicted to alcohol and cocaine and in 1975 he suffered an overdose, but he managed to turn his back on drugs in the 1990s.
RELATED: Stars in Weird Suits
Now, he admits he wishes he had cleaned up his act sooner so he could have enjoyed his early success. In an interview with "Today" host Matt Lauer, he says, "I wasted such a big part of my life. I was a drug addict and self-absorbed. You know, I was having people die right, left, and center around me, friends.
RELATED: Miley Cyrus Wants Baby 'Quickly'
"And yet I didn't stop the life that I had, which is the terrible thing about addiction. It's that -- you know, it's that bad of a disease."
The full interview is set to air on "Today" this week.
Get out the vote
'Full House' 2
Get all the scoop on who's in and who's out for Netflix's "Fuller House," on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Check out everything you need to know about Brooklyn Beckham from Instagram on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Shailene Woodley and the stars of "Divergent" chat phobias and on-set injuries at the film's world premiere.Watch Video »
Blake Lively chats motherhood, HGTV and rocking an amazing wardrobe in "The Age of Adaline" on Wonderwall.Watch Video »
Taylor Swift and her brother celebrate Easter with an epic egg hunt on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
DIY Celeb Makeup
We show you how to get Taylor Swift's blue eye shadow look on "DIY Celeb Makeup."Watch Video »