Travie McCoy Still Hurt Over Katy Perry's Breakup Email
- Photo: DAN STEINBERG/Invision/AP1 of 26
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP2 of 26
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN3 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 26
- Photo: Charley Gallay/WireImage6 of 26
- Photo: WENN7 of 26
- Photo: FS2/WENN8 of 26
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com9 of 26
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP10 of 26
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP11 of 26
- Photo: AFLO/startraksphoto.com/StarTraks12 of 26
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA13 of 26
- Photo: JSG/ZJE/WENN14 of 26
- Photo: Fame Pictures15 of 26
- Photo: BD3/WENN16 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage17 of 26
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks18 of 26
- Photo: GEVA HGVC/GSI19 of 26
- Photo: Lia Toby/WENN20 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2010/WireImage21 of 26
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN22 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage23 of 26
- Photo: Seth Wenig/Invision/AP24 of 26
- Photo: NGRE/GSI25 of 26
Gym Class Heroes star Travie McCoy has opened up about his 2009 split from Katy Perry, revealing that her romance-ending email sent him spiraling into a depression he's still coming to terms with.
RELATED: Katy Perry's Short Marriage
McCoy admits he was madly in love with the pop star and even gave her a promise ring after vowing to spend the rest of his life with the singer, but his drug issues and the couple's separate career successes brought the two-year love affair crashing to a halt.
Opening his heart in a new "Behind the Music" TV special, which aired on Sunday, McCoy recalled the start of the romance with great fondness, noting, "We looked really cute together. We get (sic) along better than any other girl I've ever hung out with in my life. That was the beginning of a really, really awesome time for me. ... When I was around her I felt really at ease and comfortable with myself. ... It was the most amazing thing ever."
But McCoy's surreptitious drug use caused friction with his Christian girlfriend.
He said, "She wasn't stupid. ... She knew when I was f---ed up. ... I chose drugs over our relationship. ... As things started taking off for her, the more I started to doubt my role in her life. There were times I felt like a stepping ladder."
And he's still hurt about the way she ended the romance: by email.
McCoy added, "It started off with 'I love you so much I hate to do this.' ... Someone that you are ready to spend the rest of your life with sends you a f---ing email just s---ting on your whole parade. It destroyed me."
Perry went on to romance and marry Russell Brand, but that relationship ended at the end of 2011. She has since been linked to Florence + the Machine rocker Robert Ackroyd and, most recently, John Mayer.
RELATED: Celebrity Breakup Makeovers
Cute Fam Moments!
Check out Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr.'s cutest family moments on Instagram on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Check out all the stars on the red carpet at the 2015 Kids' Choice Awards hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Ashton in Trouble
Is Ashton Kutcher going to be in more trouble with Demi Moore amid cheating rumors?Watch Video »
See Kim, Jared, and more celebs who have a new look for spring on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Rihanna Behind The Scenes: "Rockstar 101"
Check out this sneak peek behind the scenes of Rihanna rehearsing and filming her new video for...Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek in Photos
From Crowd Ignite