Travie McCoy Still Hurt Over Katy Perry's Breakup Email
- Photo: DAN STEINBERG/Invision/AP1 of 26
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP2 of 26
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN3 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 26
- Photo: Charley Gallay/WireImage6 of 26
- Photo: WENN7 of 26
- Photo: FS2/WENN8 of 26
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com9 of 26
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP10 of 26
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP11 of 26
- Photo: AFLO/startraksphoto.com/StarTraks12 of 26
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA13 of 26
- Photo: JSG/ZJE/WENN14 of 26
- Photo: Fame Pictures15 of 26
- Photo: BD3/WENN16 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage17 of 26
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks18 of 26
- Photo: GEVA HGVC/GSI19 of 26
- Photo: Lia Toby/WENN20 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2010/WireImage21 of 26
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN22 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage23 of 26
- Photo: Seth Wenig/Invision/AP24 of 26
- Photo: NGRE/GSI25 of 26
Gym Class Heroes star Travie McCoy has opened up about his 2009 split from Katy Perry, revealing that her romance-ending email sent him spiraling into a depression he's still coming to terms with.
RELATED: Katy Perry's Short Marriage
McCoy admits he was madly in love with the pop star and even gave her a promise ring after vowing to spend the rest of his life with the singer, but his drug issues and the couple's separate career successes brought the two-year love affair crashing to a halt.
Opening his heart in a new "Behind the Music" TV special, which aired on Sunday, McCoy recalled the start of the romance with great fondness, noting, "We looked really cute together. We get (sic) along better than any other girl I've ever hung out with in my life. That was the beginning of a really, really awesome time for me. ... When I was around her I felt really at ease and comfortable with myself. ... It was the most amazing thing ever."
But McCoy's surreptitious drug use caused friction with his Christian girlfriend.
He said, "She wasn't stupid. ... She knew when I was f---ed up. ... I chose drugs over our relationship. ... As things started taking off for her, the more I started to doubt my role in her life. There were times I felt like a stepping ladder."
And he's still hurt about the way she ended the romance: by email.
McCoy added, "It started off with 'I love you so much I hate to do this.' ... Someone that you are ready to spend the rest of your life with sends you a f---ing email just s---ting on your whole parade. It destroyed me."
Perry went on to romance and marry Russell Brand, but that relationship ended at the end of 2011. She has since been linked to Florence + the Machine rocker Robert Ackroyd and, most recently, John Mayer.
RELATED: Celebrity Breakup Makeovers
Check out Hilary's Frenchie plus more of the cutest celebri-pups to make their debut on social media in 2014 on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
From Miley Cyrus and Patrick Schwarzenegger to Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble; check out these odd celebrity couples.Watch Video »
Check out The Rock's best Instagram videos of 2014 on today's Celebs Gone Social, hosted by Wonderwall Editor Jessica Wedemeyer.Watch Video »
From Brad and Angelina to George and Amal, get the scoop on Hollywood's two biggest weddings of the year.Watch Video »
From Johnny and Amber to Donnie and Jenny, see more star couples who got engaged in 2014.Watch Video »
Wonderwall chats with Christina Aguilera, the Backstreet Boys, Psy, and more of music's biggest stars at the AMAs.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHot Bod!
From Crowd Ignite