Travie McCoy Still Hurt Over Katy Perry's Breakup Email
- Photo: DAN STEINBERG/Invision/AP1 of 26
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP2 of 26
- Photo: Judy Eddy/WENN3 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage4 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage5 of 26
- Photo: Charley Gallay/WireImage6 of 26
- Photo: WENN7 of 26
- Photo: FS2/WENN8 of 26
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com9 of 26
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP10 of 26
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP11 of 26
- Photo: AFLO/startraksphoto.com/StarTraks12 of 26
- Photo: Masatoshi Okauchi/Rex USA13 of 26
- Photo: JSG/ZJE/WENN14 of 26
- Photo: Fame Pictures15 of 26
- Photo: BD3/WENN16 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage17 of 26
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks18 of 26
- Photo: GEVA HGVC/GSI19 of 26
- Photo: Lia Toby/WENN20 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2010/WireImage21 of 26
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN22 of 26
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage23 of 26
- Photo: Seth Wenig/Invision/AP24 of 26
- Photo: NGRE/GSI25 of 26
Gym Class Heroes star Travie McCoy has opened up about his 2009 split from Katy Perry, revealing that her romance-ending email sent him spiraling into a depression he's still coming to terms with.
RELATED: Katy Perry's Short Marriage
McCoy admits he was madly in love with the pop star and even gave her a promise ring after vowing to spend the rest of his life with the singer, but his drug issues and the couple's separate career successes brought the two-year love affair crashing to a halt.
Opening his heart in a new "Behind the Music" TV special, which aired on Sunday, McCoy recalled the start of the romance with great fondness, noting, "We looked really cute together. We get (sic) along better than any other girl I've ever hung out with in my life. That was the beginning of a really, really awesome time for me. ... When I was around her I felt really at ease and comfortable with myself. ... It was the most amazing thing ever."
But McCoy's surreptitious drug use caused friction with his Christian girlfriend.
He said, "She wasn't stupid. ... She knew when I was f---ed up. ... I chose drugs over our relationship. ... As things started taking off for her, the more I started to doubt my role in her life. There were times I felt like a stepping ladder."
And he's still hurt about the way she ended the romance: by email.
McCoy added, "It started off with 'I love you so much I hate to do this.' ... Someone that you are ready to spend the rest of your life with sends you a f---ing email just s---ting on your whole parade. It destroyed me."
Perry went on to romance and marry Russell Brand, but that relationship ended at the end of 2011. She has since been linked to Florence + the Machine rocker Robert Ackroyd and, most recently, John Mayer.
RELATED: Celebrity Breakup Makeovers
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is up to today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTLike Their Folks
From Crowd Ignite