Ricky Gervais returned to the Golden Globes with a bang on Sunday night.
The host, who was back for his fourth stint after a three-year hiatus, did not hold back as he made profane jokes and threw out insults to Hollywood's A-listers.
The 54-year-old Brit laid into Ben Affleck by saying Matt Damon is the only one he's not unfaithful to (in reference to widely reported claims Affleck cheated on Jennifer Garner with their children's nanny).
And he could not resist poking fun at Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie when introducing presenters Ken Jeong and Kevin Hart. Ricky said that when the couple sees them, they'll want to adopt them!
But of course, those are just a couple examples of Ricky's humor as Caitlyn Jenner, Charlie Sheen, Donald Trump and equal pay all provided him with ample material. The jokes were mean, and he led the charge on language that got bleeped. In one moment, he asked Mel Gibson, "What the f-k does 'sugar tits' even mean?"
Although Ricky appeared bold and confident, there was actually some self-doubt on Ricky's part.
Before the show even started, Ricky told Ryan Seacrest on the red carpet, "Every time I'm looking forward to it being over so I can look forward to a little reward," he said, before joking, "I'm not cut out for this."
His wife Jane Fallon also told Ryan that Ricky would be drinking "during and after" the show, and perhaps that liquid courage helped him tell the audience to "shut up" and "shoosh" before he even began. Throughout the opening and the show, there were 10 outlandish and offensive jokes that stood out just as much as his beer on the podium.
1. Ricky began the show by calling the audience, "You disgusting, pill popping sexual deviant scum," before saying, "A few of you just married well. You know who you are."
2. He called the host network NBC "fair and impartial" before burning them. "They're the only network with zero nominations."
3. Caitlyn Jenner became a topic. "I've changed," Ricky joked. "Not as much as Bruce Jenner, obviously." He continued, "Now Caitlyn Jenner, of course. What a year she's had. She became a role model for trans people everywhere, showing great bravery in breaking down barriers and destroying stereotypes. She didn't do a lot for women drivers, but you can't do everything."
4. He offended at the expense of Jeffrey Tambor too! "What a year he's had. What an actor, what a role. Every day he has to put on all of the women's clothes and the hair and makeup and let people film it. That takes balls, so, I don't know how he does it. I really don't. I've seen his balls, they're huge and long..."
5. Ricky also brought up an issue that Jennifer Lawrence and many more have spoken about, equal pay. "Of course woman should be paid the same as men for doing the same job. And I'd like to say now, I'm being paid exactly the same as [what] Tina and Amy did last year. Of course there were two of them, but it's not my fault if they want to share the money, is it? That's their stupid fault. It's funny because it's true."
6. And there was this shocking joke. "The Hollywood Foreign press deemed "The Martian" a comedy and even nominated it. And hence, Matt Damon is here tonight, so that worked a treat, didn't it? To be fair, "The Martian" was a lot funnier than "Pixels." But then again, so was "Schindler's List."
7. Ricky joked that he had won three Golden Globes of his own. "One is a doorstop, one I keep to hit burglars over the head with, and one I keep by the bed … because it's the right size and shape," he said and even clarified, "That was a joke about me shoving Golden Globes up my a**, and they asked me to host 4 times!"
8. Things got political too. "Eva Longoria and America Ferrera are not only beautiful and talented actresses, they are also two people who your future president, Donald Trump, can't wait to deport."
9. And of course, Charlie Sheen got his snub too. "Joy" and "Tranwreck," no, not the name of Charlie Sheen's favorite hookers."
10. He also managed to get Mel Gibson and Bill Cosby into the same joke. Before introducing Mel Gibson as a presenter, Ricky said, "Now I find myself in the awkward position of having to introduce him again. I blame NBC for this situation. And Mel blames, we know who Mel blames. I still feel a bit bad for him. Mel has forgotten all about it apparently. That's what drinking does," he continued. "I want to say something nice about Mel before he comes out. I would rather have a drink with him in his hotel room tonight than Bill Cosby."
After these jabs, it's hard to imagine this show without him.
In 2012, Ricky said he would not host again. On his blog, he wrote he had "a blast," but admitted, "I've told my agent to never let me be persuaded to do it again though. It's like a parachute jump.
You can only really enjoy it in retrospect when you realize you didn't die and it was quite an amazing thing to do."
Ricky, you've done it again!
- Mar. 24, 2017 Check out these stars who are rocking super-short hair