Helena Christensen Defends Kim Kardashian, Calls Fat-Shaming 'Despicable'
- Photo: Frank Altmann/WENN1 of 27
- Photo: Christopher Peterson/Splash News/Splash News2 of 27
- Photo: Splash News3 of 27
- Photo: C. Smith/WENN4 of 27
- Photo: GSI5 of 27
- Photo: Andres Otero/WENN6 of 27
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage.com7 of 27
- Photo: Gigi Iorio/Splash News8 of 27
- Photo: Jason Webber/Splash News9 of 27
- Photo: WENN10 of 27
- Photo: AGNY/GSI11 of 27
- Photo: Michael Wright/WENN12 of 27
- Photo: Splash News13 of 27
- Photo: Jennifer/Splash News14 of 27
- Photo: GSI15 of 27
- Photo: WENN16 of 27
- Photo: GSI17 of 27
- Photo: Splash News18 of 27
- Photo: BSA/ZOJ/WENN19 of 27
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN20 of 27
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN21 of 27
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN22 of 27
- Photo: JBD/ZJE/WENN23 of 27
- Photo: KMazur/WireImage24 of 27
- Photo: Gigi Iorio/Splash News25 of 27
- Photo: Gary Gershoff/WireImage26 of 27
As a supermodel and former Victoria's Secret Angel, Helena Christensen is used to people talking about her body. But that doesn't mean she likes it. In fact, she's more sensitive to other women's body-image struggles because of it. The public shaming of one woman, in particular -- reality star and mom-to-be Kim Kardashian -- has the 44-year-old Danish beauty all riled up.
In an open letter posted on Huffington Post, Christensen defends Kardashian against criticism of her weight and slams the recent bullying over her changing body as "sacrilegious." (As reported in the April 1 issue of Us Weekly, the five-months-pregnant 32-year-old has been compared to Shamu and called "huge" and "fat.")
"It is disgusting and despicable the way that certain media constantly harass the pregnant Kim Kardashian," Christensen writes. "It's enough that they persistently project a negative focus on women's physical shapes; but a public bullying and attacking of a pregnant woman because of her growing shape is just lower than low."
The model -- who played Chris Isaak's mesmerizing girlfriend in the 1991 music video "Wicked Game" and is now a successful photographer and clothing designer -- knows firsthand what pregnancy does to a woman's body. She has a 13-year-old son, Mingus Lucien, with ex-boyfriend Norman Reedus (currently starring as Daryl Dixon on "The Walking Dead").
"There should be some moral compass," she continues. "It doesn't matter who the woman is or what she does. No one should ever be publicly judged for their body, but to attack an expecting mother is sacrilegious and just plain wrong. A pregnant woman should not be criticized for her shape, period!!"
Kardashian's boyfriend, rapper Kanye West, agrees -- and happens to love the mom-to-be's new curves. "Kanye thinks Kim is gorgeous," a source told Us. "He just wants her to be happy in her own skin."
Added the mom-to-be herself in a recent interview with E! News: "He loves [my body] and just embraces it. And he's helped me to really feel sexy and embrace it."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is up to today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »