Joan Rivers slams Lena Dunham's body-positive message
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN1 of 7
- Photo: Lia Toby/WENN2 of 7
- Photo: SGranitz/WireImage3 of 7
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP4 of 7
- Photo: Desiree Navarro/WireImage.com5 of 7
- Photo: Joe Stevens/Retna Digital6 of 7
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Season 3 of "Girls" may be over, but Lena Dunham -- and her body -- remain a hot topic. Joan Rivers eviscerated the HBO hit's creator and star during an appearance on "The Howard Stern Show" on Sirius XM March 25 arguing that Dunham's body-positive message sends the wrong message.
"Let me ask you something. Lena Dunham, who again I think is terrific, how could she wear dresses above the knee?" the E! "Fashion Police" host, 80, asked Stern during her visit. When Stern explained that she doesn't care what other people think, Rivers replied, "Oh, every woman gives a sh-t."
"You are sending a message out to people saying, 'It's okay! Stay fat! Get diabetes. Everybody die! Lose your fingers," Rivers continued of how Dunham, 27, goes nude on her HBO smash hit.
Stern, 60, tried to reason that society should celebrate that Dunham isn't plastic or filled with Botox, but the comedian wasn't having it. "Then don't go on Vogue's cover and -- here we go again -- going on Vogue's cover and looking gorgeous. I didn't know it was her," she said. "I'm on fire over hypocrisy." (Last month, Dunham slammed Jezebel for offering a $10,000 reward for unretouched images from her photo shoot. The result? Her photos were doctored the slightest bit.)
"I love that she's funny and love that she's done well. But don't let them laugh at you physically," Rivers added. "If you look the way you look, Lena, and that's fine and you're funny, don't say it's okay that other girls can look like this. Try to look better."
It was only last year that Stern himself slammed Dunham about her weight. Back in January 2013, the radio host referred to the Golden Globe winner as "a little fat girl who kind of looks like Jonah Hill." He later apologized to Dunham when she called into his Sirius XM show.
"I felt bad because I really do love the show 'Girls,' and enjoy it, and I admire the girl who writes it," he said on-air at the time. "It makes me feel bad, and I think she is getting the impression that I somehow think she's just a talentless little fat chick."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite