Elizabeth Vargas in is alcohol rehab, ABC says
- Photo: AO1/WENN1 of 5
- Photo: AO1/WENN2 of 5
- Photo: ARF/ZOJ/WENN3 of 5
- Photo: PN2/WENN4 of 5
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
The Associated Press
NEW YORK (AP) -- Veteran ABC News reporter and "20/20" anchor Elizabeth Vargas is in treatment for alcohol dependency, the network said Wednesday.
RELATED: Chris Brown enters rehab
Vargas, who is 51 and married to singer-songwriter Marc Cohn, last appeared on ABC in October. The network confirmed a New York Daily News story that said she has been in a treatment facility for a few weeks and has a few weeks more to complete the program.
"Like so many people, I am dealing with addiction," Vargas said. "I realized I was becoming increasingly dependent on alcohol."
She said she was grateful to her family, friends and employers for support. She and Cohn have two children.
RELATED: How is Zac Efron after rehab?
"Like so many others, I will deal with this challenge a day at a time," she said. "If coming forward today gives one other person the courage to seek help, I'm grateful."
Vargas has worked in network news since 1993, first with NBC and then ABC. Besides her newsmagazine work, she was named co-anchor of "World News Tonight" with Bob Woodruff following the death of Peter Jennings, but that pairing was cut short when Woodruff was seriously injured in an explosion while reporting in Iraq.
ABC said it was proud of Vargas' effort to get help and is pulling for her recovery.
"Elizabeth is a member of our family and we will support her in every way we can," said ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider.
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStork Report
From Crowd Ignite