Anderson Cooper defends Anne Hathaway: I don't understand the hatred
- Photo: Rex USA1 of 10
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP2 of 10
- Photo: IZ2/WENN3 of 10
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP4 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP5 of 10
- Photo: George Pimentel/Getty Images North America6 of 10
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks7 of 10
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP8 of 10
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 10
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Anne Hathaway married her knight in shining armor -- Adam Shulman -- last September, but Anderson Cooper is keen on defending the Oscar-winning star's honor as well. On his show Thursday, the "Anderson Live" host marveled at the vitriol leveled towards the "Les Miserables" star, 30, for her mode of acceptance speeches, her last-minute Academy Awards dress switch and other matters.
"In our morning meeting today, we were talking about this and the level of hatred people have towards Anne Hathaway; I had no idea. She seems like a perfectly lovely person," Cooper mused of the Best Supporting Actress victor. "I don't understand. She's incredibly talented, she seems like a lovely person, I think she's been through a lot. People have all these judgments about her; they don't know what she's really like ... It upset me."
When a co-host sniped that Hathaway's Oscar speech was "terrible," Cooper argued back, "She got up there, she made eye contact, she remembered people's names without reading it. I mean, give her a break."
He continued of the star, who took the extra step of later explaining why she ditched her Valentino gown for a Prada creation on Oscar Sunday, "the amount of pressure she must feel knowing all these people hate her -- give her a break; she seems like a lovely young person. Again, people form all these opinions on people based on nothing. You have no actual evidence."
Cooper clarified, "I've got no dog in this hunt. I don't know Anne Hathaway. It just seems so completely unfair to me. I had no idea this whole hatred existed, I feel like I've just woken up and realized the entire universe is attacking her and I feel bad for her and I am defending her."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Candice Swanepoel and Lily Aldridge share photos from their work trip to Hawaii on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
LeAnn Rimes shares photos from her fabulous family vacation on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite