Anderson Cooper Slams Star Jones for Comments on His Coming-Out
- Photo: WENN1 of 19
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage2 of 19
- Photo: Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP3 of 19
- Photo: RWO/WENN4 of 19
- Photo: IZ2/WENN5 of 19
- Photo: Jason DeCrow/Invision/AP6 of 19
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com7 of 19
- Photo: Jeff Roberson/Invision/AP8 of 19
- Photo: Jason Merritt/WireImage9 of 19
- Photo: GG/Fame Flynet10 of 19
- Photo: WENN11 of 19
- Photo: WENN12 of 19
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage13 of 19
- Photo: @andersoncooper/Twitter14 of 19
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP15 of 19
- Photo: AP1/http://www.wenn.com/16 of 19
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP17 of 19
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com18 of 19
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Anderson Cooper is lashing out at Star Jones for suggesting that his public acknowledgment in an email earlier this year that he's gay was a ploy to boost TV ratings.
During an exchange with Bravo TV personality Andy Cohen, who was guest-hosting with Cooper on his talk show "Anderson Live," the newsman-talk show host said that despite generally favorable reaction to his coming-out, Jones was out of line in her comments on a TV morning show.
"The only thing that did kind of annoy me -- and actually it annoyed my mom, who brought it up to me -- Star Jones, of all people," Cooper says in a clip from Thursday's episode of "Anderson Live." "I haven't thought about Star Jones in I don't know how long. ... Anyway, out of the blue, Star Jones said after I sent this email, Star Jones said this was a ratings ploy by me to boost ratings."
Cohen points out that at the time Jones made the comments, Cooper's talk show was actually on a break and he was also on an assignment on CNN that kept him off the air for several days after his announcement.
"That's why it so annoyed me," Cooper adds. "Because of all the ways to boost ratings, like if I was wanting to boost ratings, I would have waited to announce it on a very special episode, that would have been promoed for weeks and weeks and there would have been commercials. ... But instead I was in Africa on assignment for '60 Minutes,' I sent an email to a friend of mine who put it on a website. I gave no interviews about it, I never talked about it."
Watch the clip to hear Cooper's criticism of Jones for "hawking her wedding every single day to get free products" and "lying about her gastric bypass surgery."
MORE FROM WONDERWALL:
Get out the vote
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite