Ashley Judd Fires Back at Puffy Face Gibes
- Photo: VINCE BUCCI/Invision/AP1 of 14
- Photo: Picasa/WENN2 of 14
- Photo: MIKE DISCIULLO/Bauer-Griffin3 of 14
- Photo: Paul Smith/Featureflash/Retna Ltd.4 of 14
- Photo: Michael Conroy/Invision/AP5 of 14
- Photo: JIM COOPER/Invision/AP6 of 14
- Photo: Retna Digital7 of 14
- Photo: J. Pat Carter/Invision/AP8 of 14
- Photo: Leon/Retna Digital9 of 14
- Photo: Doug Meszler/Splash News10 of 14
- Photo: Paul Morigi/WireImage.com11 of 14
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/AP12 of 14
- Photo: Vince Bucci/Invision/AP13 of 14
Actress Ashley Judd has taken aim at the media for jumping to conclusions and suggesting she had undergone cosmetic surgery after the star's face appeared "puffy" on a TV show.
RELATED: Ashley Judd Joins Uganda Campaign
The "Frida" star recently wrote a piece for The Daily Beast, reiterating that her appearance was the result of steroid medication for a cold and reprimanding careless journalists and bloggers who were quick to report she had gone under the knife.
Calling the stories an "assault" on the female body image, Judd writes, "The hypersexualization of girls and women and subsequent degradation of our sexuality ... is what this conversation allegedly about my face is really about."
And she admits she was upset to learn that many of those who stated she had "clearly had work done" were women.
The actress adds, "That women are joining in the ongoing disassembling of my appearance is salient.
"This abnormal obsession with women's faces and bodies has become so normal that we (I include myself at times -- I absolutely fall for it still) have internalized patriarchy almost seamlessly. We are unable at times to identify ourselves as our own denigrating abusers, or as abusing other girls and women."
She concludes her article by writing, "I hope the sharing of my thoughts can generate a new conversation: Why was a puffy face cause for such a conversation in the first place? If this conversation about me is going to be had, I will do my part to insist that it is a feminist one, because it has been misogynistic from the start."
Get out the vote
'Kiss Me Quick'
In case you missed it, here's everything you need to know about Princess Charlotte in two minutes.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »