Ellen DeGeneres asks supreme court to end gay marriage ban
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage1 of 17
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage2 of 17
- Photo: @theellenshow/Twitter3 of 17
- Photo: @theellenshow/Twitter4 of 17
- Photo: Fame Flynet5 of 17
- Photo: @theellenshow/Twitter6 of 17
- Photo: Alex Brandon/Invision/AP7 of 17
- Photo: @theellenshow/Twitter8 of 17
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP9 of 17
- Photo: NORMAN SCOTT/StarTraks10 of 17
- Photo: Sara De Boer/StarTraks11 of 17
- Photo: FS2/WENN12 of 17
- Photo: FS2/WENN13 of 17
- Photo: BSA/ZOJ/WENN14 of 17
- Photo: Michael Wright/WENN15 of 17
- Photo: FRIOLO/NPG16 of 17
With a touch of her trademark humor, Ellen DeGeneres tackles a very serious topic close to the talk show host's heart: gay marriage.
In an open letter posted to her website, Ellen reaches out to members of the Supreme Court, who will soon decide the fate of same-sex couples who wish to wed.
RELATED: Best TMI Tweets
"Portia and I have been married for 4 years and they have been the happiest of my life," she blogs of her longtime partner Portia De Rossi. "And in those 4 years, I don't think we hurt anyone else's marriage. I asked all of my neighbors and they say they're fine."
Ellen, who tied the knot in 2008 during a brief period when gay marriage was legal in California, now urges the powers that be to open their heart and extend the privilege to every gay couple.
RELATED: Celebritweets: Election Edition
"I hope the Supreme Court will do the right thing, and let everyone enjoy the same rights," Ellen writes. "It's going to help keep families together. It's going to make kids feel better about who they are. And it is time."
In closing the comedian writes, "In the words of Benjamin Franklin, 'We're here, we're queer, get over it.'"
Read Ellen's entire plea to the supreme court here.
Related stories on ETonline.com:
Get out the vote
Wonderwall.com goes behind the scenes at the 2015 American Music AwardsWatch Video »
In honor of the 10th anniversary of "Just Friends," check out how the stars of the film have changed.Watch Video »
Get the Duggar dish on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Tats for Love
From Heidi Klum and Seal to Ryan Sweeting and Kaley Cuoco, see which stars got tattoos for love.Watch Video »
Shailene Woodley and the stars of "Divergent" chat phobias and on-set injuries at the film's world premiere.Watch Video »
Stars chat with Wonderwall.com on the red carpet at the 2015 American Music AwardsWatch Video »