Ellen DeGeneres, Portia de Rossi to Open a Vegan Restaurant
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP1 of 14
- Photo: Anthony Monterotti/Pacific Coast News2 of 14
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/TCA 2011/WireImage3 of 14
- Photo: MSN4 of 14
- Photo: WENN5 of 14
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP6 of 14
- Photo: Dan Steinberg/Invision/AP7 of 14
- Photo: VT/DK/PW/Splash News8 of 14
- Photo: Dimension Films/Promotional9 of 14
- Photo: Parade10 of 14
- Photo: Mark Lennihan/Invision/AP11 of 14
- Photo: Fern/Splash News12 of 14
- Photo: RAH/ZOJ/WENN13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
They've chalked up years of successful film and TV credits, and now Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi are adding 'restaurateurs' to their resume.
The Hollywood Reporter says the married pair are the latest investors -- partnering with singer Chrissie Hynde and producer Steve Bing -- in a new vegan eatery set to open in California's San Fernando Valley.
Vegan chef Tal Ronnen -- who catered the couple's vegan wedding in 2008 -- will design the menu for the Ventura Boulevard restaurant.
Veganism -- practiced by those who do not eat any animal or dairy products -- has long been a pet cause of DeGeneres, who launched a vegan blog, "Going Vegan With Ellen," this year as part of her daily talk show.
In an interview with Katie Couric, animal lover DeGeneres, 53, reveals why she adopted the lifestyle in 2008.
"I forced myself to watch a documentary called Earthlings that's inside footage of factory farms and dairy farms," the talk show host and comic told Couric. "You see that and go 'I can't participate in that. I can't be a part of something that is suffering.' Fifty billion animals a year are killed and I think we all fool ourselves that it's a quick death, and it's a very disturbing reality."
Since revamping her diet, DeGeneres has seen immeasurable long-term effects.
"I do it because I love animals and saw the reality and couldn't ignore it anymore. I'm healthier for it, I'm happier for it," she told Couric. "I believe in positive thinking and I can't imagine that if you're putting something in your body that's filled with fear or anxiety or pain, that isn't going to be inside of you. I used to be a more anxious person and sad, and I think not putting that stuff in my body [has helped]."
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTGet Well Soon
From Crowd Ignite