- Photo: AAR/Fame Flynet1 of 14
- Photo: Splash/Splash News2 of 14
- Photo: D. DaSilva/Rex/Rex USA3 of 14
- Photo: Splash News4 of 14
- Photo: Splash News5 of 14
- Photo: Invision/AP6 of 14
- Photo: Invision/AP7 of 14
- Photo: Getty Images North America8 of 14
- Photo: Getty Images North America9 of 14
- Photo: WENN10 of 14
- Photo: Instagram11 of 14
- Photo: David Fishe/Rex USA12 of 14
- Photo: @kimkardashian/Picasa/Instagram13 of 14
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
By Kat Giantis
It's true what they say: No good deed goes unpunished. This week, Kim Kardashian decided to aid victims of the devastating Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines by selling off a boatload of items from her closet, a la Victoria Beckham. It's a lovely gesture, but it's one that has sparked a firestorm of social media outrage after it was pointed out that only 10 percent of the proceeds were going to charity.
Kim's charitable eBay auction launched on Thursday with a number of gently used designer goods, including Christian Louboutin diamond-embellished platform pumps and this Givenchy white dress that she wore while pregnant with daughter North (and was suffering from painfully swollen tootsies).
"Hi guys, this is a very special auction because a portion of the proceeds of my eBay auction are going to International Medical Corps, a nonprofit organization that provides critical health services on remote islands where families are struggling to access medical care and basic resources like food, clean drinking water and vital medications," Kardashian wrote on her website. "The proceeds will go directly to the communities they're serving in the Philippines and will help typhoon survivors get access to medical care and ultimately save lives. My prayers and thoughts are with those affected by the typhoon."
Reaction to Kim's benevolent effort was swift and merciless.
"Kim #Kardashian is on eBay selling some of her clothes for charity. 10% goes to the charity. Hope that doesn't break her! #generosity #vile," tweeted one.
"What on earth does she need the money for?" asked another.
So, does charity begin at home? We reached out to Kim's rep, who expressed frustration that an altruistic gesture on the part of the future Mrs. Kanye West has been turned around, calling her an "easy target" for criticism.
Kim "consistently" auctions off her couture, explains her spokesperson, and always gives 10 percent of the money away (usually to her church).
It's "something she learned from her father," and she does it year-round, "not just when there's a tragedy," adds the rep.
For this particular auction, Kardashian decided to change the beneficiary in order to help the Philippines, but she kept the percentage at the usual number.
Given how high end the items are (other designers represented include Chanel, Gucci, Lanvin and Balenciaga), a good chunk of change should be raised, even at the 10 percent rate. Could she do more? Of course, but then so could most of us (ahem, we've been meaning to make a donation, we swear). So maybe let's cut Kim some slack on this one, because at least she's doing something instead of nothing.
ALSO ON WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTStork Report
From Crowd Ignite