Jon Bon Jovi on Daughter's Heroin Overdose: 'Worst Phone Call Ever'
- Photo: Brian Rasic/Rex USA1 of 16
- Photo: Beretta/Sims/StarTraks2 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage3 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage4 of 16
- Photo: FS2/WENN5 of 16
- Photo: Turgeon/Winslow/Splash News6 of 16
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP8 of 16
- Photo: AO1/WENN9 of 16
- Photo: Stephen Lovekin/WireImage10 of 16
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage11 of 16
- Photo: ADAM NEMSER/StarTraks12 of 16
- Photo: WENN13 of 16
- Photo: WENN14 of 16
- Photo: http://www.wenn.com/15 of 16
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Jon Bon Jovi has witnessed the so-called rock-and-roll lifestyle for decades, but nothing could have prepared him for the phone call he received last November that his 19-year-old daughter had overdosed on heroin.
Opening up on Katie Couric's talk show, "Katie," on Friday, the rocker recalled the day he discovered that his daughter, Stephanie Bongiovi, was hospitalized after overdosing at Hamilton College in Clinton, New York.
"Worst phone call ever," he admitted.
It served as a wake-up call for the "It's My Life" singer, 51; he told Couric he was "shocked as the next parent with this situation" when he learned about Stephanie's problems with drugs.
"In short, that problem is much more a problem than I knew, and I can't get over how many people have said, 'My son, my daughter,'" Jon told Couric. "There's a lot of pressure on kids these days."
Fortunately, the Grammy nominee says Stephanie is doing much better now with the support of their entire family. (She's the eldest of Jon's four kids with wife of 23 year Dorothea Hurley; her siblings are Jesse, 18, Jacob, 10, and Romeo, 8.)
"She's doing great," he said. "I'm just blessed she's healthy and whole and we'll get through it."
Although initially Stephanie and her friend, Ian S. Grant, were arrested on drug possession charges after officers found heroin, marijuana and drug paraphernalia in her dorm room, those misdemeanor charges were dropped due to a recently amended state law.
The 2011 "Good Samaritan" law exempted people from possession charges if they had sought help for somebody experiencing a drug or alcohol overdose, and Grant had called for medical assistance on Stephanie's behalf.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTHow Much?!
From Crowd Ignite