Leah Remini on Leaving Scientology: I Took a Stance With My Family
- Photo: FS2/WENN1 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN2 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN3 of 11
- Photo: FayesVision/WENN4 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN5 of 11
- Photo: Adriana M. Barraza/WENN6 of 11
- Photo: FS2/WENN7 of 11
- Photo: KH1/WENN8 of 11
- Photo: RSH/ZOJ/WENN9 of 11
- Photo: Janet Mayer / Splash News/Splash News10 of 11
More Celeb News
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame PlazaMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:50:00 PM
- 'Dancing With the Stars' Goes to the Movies, But It's Lights Out for One MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 9:24:00 PM
- DreamWorks Animation Talks Collapse, SoftBank Turns to Legendary Entertainment (Report)MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:46:00 PM
- Dancing with the Stars: Who Got the Season's First Perfect Score?MSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:27:00 PM
- Postmortem: Everything Went Wrong on Sleepy Hollow This Week. Stars Preview What's NextMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 7:01:00 PM
- Ed Sullivan Statue Stolen from Academy of Television Arts And Sciences' Hall of Fame Plaza
Leah Remini is ready for life after Scientology. The "King of Queens" star, 43, supported pal Holly Robinson Peete at Saturday's 15th Annual DesignCare benefit at a private residence in Malibu, Calif.; the event marked Remini's first public appearance since her news-making departure from the Church of Scientology. Remini was born and raised in the faith favored by the likes of Tom Cruise and John Travolta, but left after allegedly disagreeing with Church leader David Miscavige and some of the organization's supposed practices.
Is Remini happy now? "Happy is a relative word," the married mother of one told Us Weekly Saturday. "Yeah. It's a time of change." Specifically addressing her departure from the church, Remini told Us: "I think the fact that my family has taken a stance and we are on a united front says a lot."
In other news, the star says she has some major projects in the works -- including a return to TV. "I'm deciding to do something right now and we'll know in the next week," she teased. "It will be television. It might be in the reality-sitcom world."
A source previously told Us that Remini's exit was not a decision she took lightly. "She thought about this over a long time."
She reportedly also said she believes "people should be able to question things," and that "no one is going to tell me how I need to think."
The New York Post's Page Six first reported that Remini had been supposedly subjected to years of "interrogations" and "thought modifications." A rep for the church told Us Weekly: "The church respects the privacy of parishioners and has no comment about any individual church member."
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWedding Pics
From Crowd Ignite