Paula Deen Maintains 36-Pound Weight Loss: 'It's All About Moderation'
- Photo: Mr Blue/WENN1 of 15
- Photo: People/Promotional2 of 15
- Photo: Brian Killian/WireImage3 of 15
- Photo: Carlo Allegri/Invision/AP4 of 15
- Photo: CS5/Wonderwall5 of 15
- Photo: Jeff Christensen/Invision/AP6 of 15
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: Paul Zimmerman/WireImage8 of 15
- Photo: Martin Roe/Retna Ltd.9 of 15
- Photo: Brandon Todd/Splash News10 of 15
- Photo: Jamie McCarthy/WireImage.com11 of 15
- Photo: Harpo/The Oprah Winfrey Show/WENN12 of 15
- Photo: Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com13 of 15
- Photo: Jim Spellman/WireImage.com14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Taylor Swift's Personal Services Company Sued for Allegedly Bailing on Chauffeur BillsMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Jesse Metcalfe to Star in 'Dead Rising' After Being Killed Off on 'DallasMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 4:01:00 PM
- ABC Orders Family Comedy Pilot From Mandeville, Fred GossMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:54:00 PM
- Lena Dunham Changes Her Mind, Will Pay Performers on Her Book TourMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:52:00 PM
- 'Magic Mike XXL' Adds Elizabeth Banks and Donald GloverMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Taylor Swift's Personal Services Company Sued for Allegedly Bailing on Chauffeur Bills
Nearly a year after she was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, Food Network star Paula Deen shed an impressive 36 pounds -- and kept it off!
"It's all about moderation," the butter-loving Southern chef says in the February issue of Woman's Day. "I just needed to learn to eat a normal portion size and not overindulge."
Health benefits aside, Deen had other reasons for wanting to revamp her diet. "I want to be here for my grandchildren. I think about them every day. My daddy was dead at 40. My mother was dead at 44. And look -- I'm 65 and I'm still here! Go, 65!" she laughs. "Waking up every morning is very exciting for me, to see what the day is going to bring."
Deen still eats her favorite foods, including her famous fried chicken and her grandmother's pound cake, though she does so less frequently. "It's amazing how little changes will give you big results," she says.
Even so, the TV star -- once a size 18 -- refuses to eat fat-free meals. "In my refrigerator, there's no light mayonnaise," Deen offers as an example. "I'd rather eat less of the real thing and have it taste really good than have diet stuff that tastes awful."
Deen, who resides in Savannah, Ga., tells Woman's Day she's been able to curb her appetite by slowing down during meals. "Putting my fork down and having a conversation has been a huge help," she reveals. "Because it takes 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that you're full."
MORE FROM WOMAN'S DAY:
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTUnder Pressure
From Crowd Ignite