Protests flare in Bahrain for Kim Kardashian visit
- Photo: GF/Bauer-Griffin1 of 19
- Photo: Nina Prommer/Retna Ltd.2 of 19
- Photo: Will Alexander/WENN3 of 19
- Photo: Khloe Kardashian/.4 of 19
- Photo: Khloe Kardashian/.5 of 19
- Photo: Khloe Kardashian/.6 of 19
- Photo: Khloe Kardashian/.7 of 19
- Photo: Khloe Kardashian/.8 of 19
- Photo: .9 of 19
- Photo: Khloe Kardashian/.10 of 19
- Photo: Kim Kardashian/.11 of 19
- Photo: Kim Kardashian/.12 of 19
- Photo: Thomas Lohnes/Invision/AP13 of 19
- Photo: MiamiPIXX/BRJ/Fame Flynet14 of 19
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP15 of 19
- Photo: BJJ/Fame Flynet16 of 19
- Photo: @kimkardashian/Twitter17 of 19
- Photo: Michael Jaworski/WENN18 of 19
MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) — Just hours after reality TV star Kim Kardashian gushed about her impressions of Bahrain, riot police fired tear gas to disperse more than 50 hardline Islamic protesters denouncing her presence in the Gulf kingdom.
The clashes took place just before Kardashian opened the Bahrain branch of her Millions of Milkshakes shop.
An Associated Press journalist saw protesters chanting "God is great" near the shopping complex in Riffa, about 12 miles south of the capital Manama. The demonstrators were cleared before Kardashian appeared late Saturday.
Earlier, she posted glowing remarks about Bahrain on her Twitter account, calling it "the prettiest place on earth." It was re-Tweeted by Bahrain's foreign minister.
Kardashian was in Kuwait earlier this week to open another branch of the shop.
Wonderwall.com goes behind the scenes at the 2015 American Music AwardsWatch Video »
Get the Duggar dish on Replay hosted by Wonderwall's Kirby Kristen.Watch Video »
Tats for Love
From Heidi Klum and Seal to Ryan Sweeting and Kaley Cuoco, see which stars got tattoos for love.Watch Video »
Stars chat with Wonderwall.com on the red carpet at the 2015 American Music AwardsWatch Video »