Rob Lowe Celebrates 23 Years of Sobriety: 'It Works If You Work It'
- Photo: Orchon/Retna Digital1 of 16
- Photo: SNAP/Rex USA2 of 16
- Photo: Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP3 of 16
- Photo: Promotional4 of 16
- Photo: DAN STEINBERG/AP/R-STEINBERG5 of 16
- Photo: Columbia Pictures/Promotional6 of 16
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage7 of 16
- Photo: Unimedia/Retna Ltd.8 of 16
- Photo: Mark Humphrey/Invision/AP9 of 16
- Photo: Mark Humphrey/Invision/AP10 of 16
- Photo: Mark Humphrey/Invision/AP11 of 16
- Photo: Chris Weeks/Hennessy V.S/Invision/AP12 of 16
- Photo: Splash News13 of 16
- Photo: Splash News/Splash News14 of 16
- Photo: CelebrityVibe/Splash News15 of 16
Rob Lowe has a lot to be proud of, both personally and professionally. The 49-year-old "Parks and Recreation" star celebrated a major milestone May 10, which he shared with his 634,000 Twitter followers. "Celebrating 23 years sober tonight," Lowe wrote. "It works if you work it." The actor spent the past week surfing in Oahu's North Shore, which he documented via the social networking site.
The "West Wing" alum and married father of two quit drinking in 1990 when he entered a rehabilitation clinic, which he described in his 2011 memoir "Stories I Only Tell My Friends" as "one of the most exhilarating, liberating and exciting four weeks of my life."
Lowe elaborated on his rehab experience while promoting his book during a May 2011 appearance on CNN's "Piers Morgan Tonight." "It was great. I loved it. Because I was ready," the actor said. "Problem is, people go into rehab and they're not ready. You want to get sober for your parents, you want to get sober for your job, you want to get sober for the cops, you want to get sober to protect your image. A lot of good reasons, by the way, but unfortunately, the only thing that works is that you have to want to get sober for you."
He continued, "I was ready. And so if they told me, 'Hey, Lowe, you've got to go stand in the corner on your head,' I would have done it."
NBC's "Parks and Recreation" was recently renewed for a sixth season. Lowe also appears in the HBO drama "Behind the Candelabra," premiering May 26 at 9 p.m. EST.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is up to today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »