Seth Meyers on Hosting Emmys 2014: Goal Is to 'Avoid a Train wreck'
- Photo: John Shearer/WireImage.com1 of 15
- Photo: John Shearer/Invision/AP2 of 15
- Photo: Michel Euler/AP3 of 15
- Photo: Lloyd Bishop/NBC4 of 15
- Photo: Jeff Vespa/WireImage5 of 15
- Photo: Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP6 of 15
- Photo: AP Images / Evan Agostini/Invision/AP7 of 15
- Photo: Danny Moloshock/Reuters8 of 15
- Photo: Harry Pluviose/Retna Digital9 of 15
- Photo: Dimitrios Kambouris/WireImage10 of 15
- Photo: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP11 of 15
- Photo: Manuel Balce Ceneta/Invision/AP12 of 15
- Photo: Evan Agostini/Invision/AP13 of 15
- Photo: Invision/AP14 of 15
More Celeb News
- Taylor Swift's Personal Services Company Sued for Allegedly Bailing on Chauffeur BillsMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 4:06:00 PM
- Jesse Metcalfe to Star in 'Dead Rising' After Being Killed Off on 'DallasMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 4:01:00 PM
- ABC Orders Family Comedy Pilot From Mandeville, Fred GossMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:54:00 PM
- Lena Dunham Changes Her Mind, Will Pay Performers on Her Book TourMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:52:00 PM
- 'Magic Mike XXL' Adds Elizabeth Banks and Donald GloverMSNEntertainment 9/29/2014 3:43:00 PM
- Taylor Swift's Personal Services Company Sued for Allegedly Bailing on Chauffeur Bills
Seth Meyers is no Miley Cyrus. The "Late Night" host, 40, will be hosting the 2014 Emmy Awards tonight -- a show he promised will include "no twerking."
"I can't sing and I can't dance, but I'm hoping at least there will be something a little musical in the show," Meyers said in a "Today" show interview with Al Roker. While he didn't reveal what the musical performance would be, Meyers added, "I promise to be far away in the wings when that happens. That's my guarantee to you. No twerking — nobody wants that."
As to what the show will include, the "Saturday Night Live" alum joked that he's setting his sights low. "I think if you can avoid a train wreck, people are pretty happy," he said. "People talk more about the Emmys in the two months leading up to the Emmys than they do the day after. You just want, hopefully a week after, no one will be talking about it anymore."
While he may not be shooting for the stars, Meyers said it was "not really" a question for him whether he would accept the gig, adding, "I feel like you would only regret it if you turn down something like this. These opportunities don't come around that often. You sort of want to be in the position to be flattered enough to be offered."
Meyers will be joined at Los Angeles' Nokia Theatre for the 66th Primetime Emmy Awards by a bevy of famous faces, including scheduled presenters Halle Berry, Matthew McConaughey, Julia Roberts, Kerry Washington, and Jimmy Fallon.
Nominations for the awards show include major nods for HBO's "Game of Thrones," AMC's "Breaking Bad," and FX's "Fargo." Lead actors and actresses who are up for honors include Lena Dunham, Matt LeBlanc, Amy Poehler, Claire Danes, Jon Hamm, and Bryan Cranston.
"I'm rooting for Poehler," Meyers admitted of his former "Saturday Night Live" pal. "Jon Hamm's never won an Emmy and I'd love to see that. Nothing would make me happier than seeing my old 'SNL' friends get the gold."
While much of the Emmys will be celebratory for Meyers and his friends and colleagues, the show will take a serious note when it remembers the late Robin Williams, who will be honored during a special In Memoriam segment, led by Billy Crystal with a performance by Sara Bareilles.
"I only met him once," Meyers said of Williams, who died on Aug. 11 at the age of 63. "He couldn't have been a more lovely person. The outpouring of stories about what a kind soul he was in the week after he passed were very moving. Fortunately, the Emmys has a place for In Memoriam and it's nice that they'll go the extra mile for Robin this year."
The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards air on NBC on Monday Aug. 25 at 8 p.m. EST/5 p.m. PST.
MORE ON WONDERWALL:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTUnder Pressure
From Crowd Ignite