Simon Cowell: Why Cheryl Cole Was Fired from 'X Factor'
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP1 of 25
- Photo: FOX2 of 25
- Photo: LTA/WENN3 of 25
- Photo: FS2/WENN4 of 25
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP5 of 25
- Photo: Dan Jackman/WENN6 of 25
- Photo: Andreas Rentz/GettyImages.com7 of 25
- Photo: KCSPresse/Splash News8 of 25
- Photo: Splash News9 of 25
- Photo: Gregg DeGuire/WireImage.com10 of 25
- Photo: ANG/Fame Pictures11 of 25
- Photo: Jeff Moore/Splash News12 of 25
- Photo: Bauer-Griffin13 of 25
- Photo: INB/WENN14 of 25
- Photo: Peter Kramer/Invision/AP15 of 25
- Photo: Splash News16 of 25
- Photo: NBC17 of 25
- Photo: Peter Kramer/KRAPE18 of 25
- Photo: Nikki Nelson/WENN19 of 25
- Photo: Steve Granitz/WireImage.com20 of 25
- Photo: Jason Winslow/Splash News21 of 25
- Photo: Ivan Nikolov/WENN22 of 25
- Photo: Splash News23 of 25
- Photo: Joel Ryan/Invision/AP24 of 25
Fans were shocked when the former U.K. "X Factor" judge Cheryl Cole was dropped from the American spin-off's panel of judges in an 11th hour decision on May 23 -- to only be replaced a week later by Nicole Scherzinger. And while former "American Idol" judge and "X Factor" creator Simon Cowell attributed the British singer's departure to homesickness, he has now opened up about exactly what went down in a recent interview on Radar.
"After two cities, I offered [Cheryl] the job, which initially she accepted," Cowell, 51, said on Saturday. "And then unfortunately when it went public, the negotiations fell apart, so I though she would be more comfortable doing the U.K. show than the American show."
"For certain reasons, [she] decided not to [come back to the U.K.] And that's why it ended up the way it is," he added.
"Throughout the whole decision making process, Simon was really torn between Cheryl and Nicole. He absolutely loved Nicole, really felt like she was the right one, but also knew his chemistry with Cheryl had been great before in the U.K. He finally decided on the more comfortable option and chose Cheryl."
Cowell, who co-judged the show's U.K. installment with Cole, 28, from 2008 to 2010, admitted that their friendship hasn't been so sunny. "I am sorry for the way it worked out as we were incredibly close. She is still grumpy with me."
The "X Factor," whose final panel of judges include Cowell, Scherzinger, L.A. Reid and Paula Abdul, premieres on FOX September 21.
RELATED ON WONDERWALL & MSN:
Fergie, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Heidi Klum all get an F on this week's Fashion Offenders.Watch Video »
Diva Double Date
Beyonce and Alicia Keys double date with their famous hubbies on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Where Are They?
See what the cast of "American Beauty" is up to today.Watch Video »
J.Lo's Mini Me
Jennifer Lopez shares an adorable photo of her look-alike daughter, plus more celebritots on social media on today's Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Prince Harry, Jessica Alba and more stars who threw out the first pitch at baseball games.Watch Video »
Sofia Vergara poses in a revealing neon bikini while her "Modern Family" castmates hit the beach in Australia on Celebs Gone Social.Watch Video »
Like us on Facebook?
UP NEXTWeek in Photos
From Crowd Ignite