Years ago, while she was the throes of substance abuse addiction, Alisan Porter still dreamed of being a big star again. It was her "wildest dream," but a dream no less.
On May 24, her dream became a reality when she won "The Voice."
"Wildest dreams DO come true! Follow your heart," she wrote on Instagram after being crowned the winner. "Never give up. NEVER let anyone tell you you can't. You CAN."
Alisan's story has been well documented. She was a major child star, having played Curly Sue in the movie of the same name. After she got a bit older she turned to the bottle and admitted to being an alcoholic. She's been sober over eight years now.
"I walked through so many fears. All of my fears," she wrote on Instagram. "Thank you to every single person who picked up a phone and voted or went to a computer and downloaded songs. I am forever indebted to you ALL! I love you and I will make you proud! All my love. ALL MY LOVE!!!!!!!!!"
Alisan's story is certainly one with a happy ending, but it's hardly rare. Below are other major stars who were given second (and sometimes third and fourth chances) and capitalized on them.
1. Robert Downey Jr. is now one of the highest paid actors in the business, but it wasn't always that way. The actor's struggles are well known. From 1996 to 2001 he was arrested numerous times for drugs and went to rehab several times. There was a lot of thought that he would never get clean. In 2001 he finally did and his career has had a resurgence. He's a bigger star today than he ever was.
2. Drew Barrymore was the cute little girl in "E.T." By 13, she was in rehab. She later attempted suicide, and became emancipated from her parents at age 15. By 19, she posed for Playboy and got her first divorce. Nowadays, her love life is still on shaky ground, and she admits that, but she's now a top actress and mother to two.
3. Charlie Sheen owned the late 80s after a string of successful films. Then his life sort of unraveled afterward. He was arrested several times and went to rehab at least three times. Like Teflon Don, nothing really ever stuck to Charlie and the public continued to give him chances. His hard life seems to have caught up with him though. Last year he admitted that he is HIV positive, but the public seems to be pulling for him.
4. Natasha Lyonne once said she was "as good as dead" from her partying. In the late 90s, though, she was on track to being a top star with a string of successful movies. Then, the mid 00's hit and she was arrested and ended up going to rehab. She was given another shot after all that and she's now back on TV, playing Nicky on "Orange Is The New Black." She was also in three films that premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2016.
Who says you can't get a second chance?
- May. 19, 2017 See all the stars at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival!