Five months after the fatal shooting on the set of the indie-Western "Rust," Alec Baldwin is heading back to work.
Citing two Italian production companies, Variety reported Alec will join his brother Daniel Baldwin for two movies, which are being filmed in Rome and directed by Italian Francesco Cinquemani. Alec is set to arrive in Italy this week, whereas his brother is already there.
The Emmy winner previously worked with Francesco in "Andron: The Black Labyrinth."
The shoots for the movies —title "Kid Santa" and "Billie's Magic World" —are expected to last four weeks. Alec signed on to the films before the "Rust" incident, a studio executive told Variety.
Production on "Rust" has remained suspended since October 2021, when a weapon Alec believed contained no live rounds discharged, killing the movie's cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, and wounding its director, Joel Souza. Alec later said in an interview with ABC News that he "didn't pull the trigger."
Alec, along with a number of crew members and producers, face lawsuits from the film's script supervisor and chief electrician, according to EW. An investigation into the shooting is ongoing.
Last month, Alec and others involved in "Rust" were also sued by Halyna's family. In the wrongful death lawsuit filed on Feb. 15, the family claimed numerous safety measures were violated when a gun wielded by Alec accidentally fired a live round directly at Halyna.
A lawyer for the family said "reckless behavior in cost cutting" led to the 42-year-old director of photography's death. Lawyers for Halyna's estate asserted that Alec and the others involved "disregarded at least 15 industry standards" for safety on the set.
Estate attorney Randi McGinn told NBC she "expected the case would get to trial within a year and a half to two years." She added, "You don't hand somebody a gun until you give them safety training … No one should ever die with a real gun on a make-believe movie set."