Billboard -- Maroon 5 keeps a fast-galloping PSY out of the Billboard Hot 100 summit, at least for this week, as "One More Night" spends a second week at No. 1 and tops the On-Demand Songs chart. PSY's "Gangnam Style," meanwhile, powered by buzz generated by its video in which the Korean rapper shows off his horse-imitating moves, rockets 11-2 on the Hot 100 and 4-1 on Digital Songs. "Night" remains at the Hot 100's apex with top Airplay Gainer honors for a fourth consecutive week, fueled by a 5-2 surge on Radio Songs (102 million audience impressions, up 21%, according to Nielsen BDS). It concurrently crowns On-Demand Songs, where it leaps 4-1 (775,000 on-demand streams, up 10%, according to BDS). "Night" returns to its No. 2 peak on Digital Songs with a 7% increase to 205,000 downloads sold in the chart's tracking week, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Maroon 5 Already Working on 'Overexposed' Follow-Up
The song's string of four straight Airplay Gainer awards is the chart's longest since fun. 's "We Are Young," featuring Janelle Monae, earned the honor for six weeks in a row in March/April. At No. 2, PSY's worldwide hit "Gangnam Style" roars toward the Hot 100's top spot with the chart's top Digital Gainer tag, bounding from No. 11 (after debuting at No. 64 two weeks ago). The song surges in all fields that contribute to the Hot 100's data pool: it climbs 4-1 on Digital Songs (301,000, up 60%), 43-9 on On-Demand Songs (616,000, up 105%) and 68-34 on Radio Songs (34 million, up 79%). The song is likewise the top-gaining track on the mainstream top 40-driven Pop Songs radio airplay chart (28-19, up 95% in plays).
With "Style" up by 67% in overall Hot 100 points and "Night" gaining by 12%, and the points gap between the two songs tight this week, the stage could be set for PSY to trot into the chart's winner's circle as soon as next week. Also on-watch: Rihanna 's new single "Diamonds," which hit radio and retail today and could make a lofty launch on the Hot 100 next week. Fun.'s "Some Nights" bullets again at No. 3 on the Hot 100, rising 5-4 on Digital Songs (159,000, up 4%) and 11-9 on Radio Songs (81 million, up 18%). On On-Demand Songs, the song slips 1-2 (767,000, down 1%). Taylor Swift 's former three-week No. 1 "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" dips 2-4 on the Hot 100 and vacates the top spot on Digital Songs after spending its first five frames at No. 1 (196,000, down 13%). (It's sold 1.9 million since its release.) Still, "Never" advances 6-3 on Radio Songs (95 million, up 14%). Again worth noting this week: "Never" continues not to register subscription streaming points on the Hot 100, as it has not yet been made available to on-demand streaming services that also contribute to the Hot 100's tabulation. ("Never" also, thus, has yet appear on On-Demand Songs).
Taylor Swift Wants to 'Begin Again' on New Single: Listen
Meanwhile, look for a second preview track from Swift's Oct. 22 album "Red" to storm the Hot 100 next week, as "Begin Again" currently ranks at No. 1 in the iTunes Store. The song will serve as the next country radio (but not pop) single. (Non-album charity song "Ronan" debuted and peaked at No. 16 on the Hot 100 and No. 2 on Digital Songs two weeks ago.) As she tops the Billboard 200 for the first time with new album "The Truth About Love," P!nk holds at No. 5 on the Hot 100 with "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)," which logs a second week atop Radio Songs (114 million, up 16%) and charges 26-10 on On-Demand Songs (470,000, up 17%). As previously reported, the cut becomes her eighth No. 1 on Pop Songs. P!nk concurrently bows at No. 56 on the Hot 100 with "Truth" track "Try," which enters Digital Songs at No. 15 (80,000). RCA Records has confirmed that the song is the next radio single from the set and will begin promoting it to pop stations in late October. Rounding out the Hot 100's top 10, Flo Rida 's former two-week No. 1 "Whistle" slides 4-6, followed by Justin Bieber 's "As Long as You Love Me," featuring Big Sean (6-7); Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen 's "Good Time" (9-8); Alex Clare 's "Too Close" (8-9); and Ellie Goulding 's "Lights" (7-10). Christina Aguilera makes the Hot 100's splashiest arrival, as "Your Body" soars in at No. 34. The lead single from Aguilera's fifth studio album, "Lotus," due Nov. 13, starts at No. 10 on Digital Songs with sales of 103,000, while approaching Radio Songs with a 17% gain to 16 million. On Pop Songs, the song ascends 33-28 (up 81%) in its second week. While "Not Myself Tonight," the first single from Aguilera's last studio set, 2010's "Bionic," entered the Hot 100 at a higher rank than "Body" (No. 23, where it peaked), it did so with a lower sales sum (77,000).
Check Billboard.com tomorrow (Sept. 27), when all rankings, including the Hot 100 and On-Demand Songs in their entirety and Digital Songs and Radio Songs, will be refreshed, as they are each Thursday.
_ _ _ _
Find more online: Billboard.com