Craig Sjodin / Getty Images North America 1 / 6
Craig Sjodin / Getty Images North America 1 / 6

"Dancing With The Stars" is taking no chances -- it's beefed up security for Monday's show in light of the Ryan Lochte protest last week.

"They have ramped up security even through rehearsals and for the crew," a source told the New York Post.

Last week two hecklers rushed the stage to protest the controversial swimmer's participation on the show. "DWTS" was being aired live at the time and the show was forced to go to a commercial break. Other people in the crowd also wore anti-Lochte shirts. They were ultimately led out of the show, too.

"It was very scary," the source told the newspaper. "You didn't know what was going on. Security handled it very poorly."

The Post reports that it will take audience members longer to get into the show than usual.

"This time they're going to be patting people down," the show source said. "They've already sent out a memo saying come an extra hour early … They're going to lockdown the stage an hour ahead of time."

Extra security was also added over the weekend at rehearsals.

After last week's hecklers were arrested on suspicion of criminal trespassing, the Olympic gold medalist told Tom Bergeron that "so many feelings are going through my head right now."

He said he was "a little hurt, but I came out here. I wanted to do something I'm completely not comfortable with, and I did."

At the time, Tom thanked the ABC series' security team "for staying in shape." Knowing what can happen on live TV, that's not enough anymore.

Although the extra security measures are somewhat new for the ABC show, it's not uncommon for high-profile events to amp up preventive measures to quell risks. In light of the bombings in New York and New Jersey, Los Angeles police beefed up its security force around Sunday's Emmy awards. In addition to traffic and street cops, SWAT teams, bomb-sniffing dogs and federal law enforcement officers are also there to ensure the safety of the show and all the guests.