Chace Crawford won't be in the remake of Footloose after all.
The Gossip Girl star, 24, pulled out late last week, sources tell UsMagazine.com."The project was plagued from the start," an insider says. "It was developed for Zac Efron. Zac dropped out. Chace signed on and then [director] Kenny Ortega dropped out."
Ortega (who helmed the High School Musical movies, also starring Efron) cited "exhaustion" after quickly putting together Michael Jackson's This Is It, Entertainment Weekly reports.Another source tells Us, "Chace informed Paramount he was backing out of Footloose on Thursday. It was supposed to start in September, then March. Chace is going back to Gossip Girl in July. Paramount was supportive of his decision. They aren't even in pre-production."
REVIEW: Gossip Girl's newest seasonBut the movie, which starred in Kevin Bacon in the 1984 original, is a go for now; Dancing With the Stars alum Julianne Hough is still attached.
"They are getting a new director and are going in a whole different direction," the first insider says.
- Aug. 23, 2016 Is Ariana Grande dating Mac Miller? Plus, more news