Thanksgiving is generally a time of gratitude and good food -- but it didn't quite turn out that way for Martha Stewart.
While the rest of the country was feasting on stuffing, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie, the domestic diva was laid up in bed with a nasty case of food poisoning, she told Page Six.
"I never get sick, but I came down with salmonella," Stewart, 71, revealed to the New York Post at a recent art event. "I think I caught it because I was handling so many turkeys around Thanksgiving."
Call it an occupational hazard. The lifestyle guru indeed dealt with more than her share of poultry before the holiday, thanks to several Thanksgiving-themed appearances (including one on the Today show).
"It really hit me hard, and I was in bed for days," she said of the illness, which can cause symptoms including vomiting, abdominal pain, fever, chills, and muscle pains. "It was terrible."
There was, however, one unintended upside to the whole ordeal, she added: "I lost some weight."
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Martha Stewart Sickened by Salmonella From Thanksgiving Turkeys
- Aug. 23, 2016 Jessa Duggar Seewald is pregnant with her second child
- Aug. 22, 2016 Catch up with the butt-kicking cast of 2001's 'Spy Kids'