Kerry Washington's secret marriage to football player Nnamdi Asomugha came as a surprise to fans, most of whom didn't know the two were dating until after their June 24 wedding was revealed on July 3. The Scandal actress, 36, has been incredibly tight-lipped about her personal life ever since splitting from fiance David Moscow in 2007 -- but Us Weekly dug up some facts on her new husband, a 31-year-old cornerback for the San Francisco 49ers.
1. His parents hail from Nigeria, but Asomugha himself was born in Lafayette, La., and raised in Southern California, where he made a name for himself playing football and basketball at L.A.'s Narbonne High School. He later attended and played for the University of California, Berkeley, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in corporate finance.
2. He's an actor, too. According to IMDB, the NFL star made his professional acting debut in 2008 on the CW sitcom The Game. That was followed by a role on the season four premiere of Friday Night Lights. And last fall, he appeared alongside Bruce Willis, Josh Duhamel, and Rosario Dawson in the film Fire With Fire. He also wrote, produced, and starred in a short film called Double Negative.
3. He shares his wife's love of activism and philanthropy. As the chairman of the Asomugha Foundation, an organization he started with his family, the 49ers cornerback works to provide food, shelter, and scholarships (among other things) to widows and orphans victimized by abuse in Nigeria. He also launched the annual Asomugha College Tour for Scholars, a program that takes high-achieving students on campus tours of top universities around the country. Since 2009, he has been an invited guest and has participated in the Clinton Global Initiative.
Additionally, Asomugha distributes backpacks to incoming freshman at his alma mater, Narbonne, and provides shoes for the football and basketball teams there.
4. He has a form of color-blindness called deuteranomaly. "It was determined when I was about 7 years old. It's never really affected my play on the field -- I can easily distinguish between light and dark colors," he told ESPN The Magazine in June 2009. "I only have trouble between similar colors -- the light ones. They look the same to me. No problems on the field."
5. He was a first-round pick in the NFL Draft. The Oakland Raiders picked up Asomugha in 2003; he stayed with them until 2010, when he moved to Philadelphia to play for the Eagles. In April 2013, he signed a one-year deal with the San Francisco 49ers.
This article originally appeared on Usmagazine.com: Nnamdi Asomugha: 5 Things You Don't Know About Kerry Washington's New Husband
- Dec. 07, 2016 Is Amy Schumer getting married?