By Alex Blagg and Dana Flax
Personal style has always been a requirement for stardom, and while pants seem like a requisite part of personal style, lately among Hollywood's star population, covering one's nether regions with cloth seems like it's becoming increasingly optional. Click through to see 12 starlets who are taking a brave stance against the stifling oppression of pants.
12. Barely making the list is Vanessa Hudgens, whose single digitally-captured foray into total pantslessness (widely covered on the Internet) apparently terrified her enough to never so brazenly risk compromising her tweenybopper sensibility ever again. She definitely wears the pants in her relationship with Zac Efron these days.
11. Sgt. Pepper's showstopper Britney Spears proudly, and pantslessly, marches to the beat of her own drummer, leading her flaming crazy Circus into pop star oblivion.
10. One-time Christian crooner Katy Perry routinely wears rompers onstage, placing her "Hot N Cold" relationship with pants somewhere around the frigid zone. What would Jesus do? He'd probably put on some pants.
9. Just because Heidi Klum is a supermodel and we've all seen her body in a swimsuit, like, a million times doesn't mean she's exempt from putting on some pants once in awhile. There's a lesson here: You experiment with not wearing pants once, and before you know it, you're not wearing them every day. It's a slippery slope. Say yes to pants.
8. Lily Allen, who also routinely performs pantless, shows some hot-pants insecurity by adorning a garter belt with paper strip things order to provide more leg cover. She can't even commit to not wearing pants.
7. Longtime minidress advocate Mariah Carey has been photographed lately wearing skimpier outfits that cover less and less of her lower half. If her clothing keeps shrinking like this, pretty soon she's just going to be legs and a head.
6. The only way you're going to get Pam Anderson to put on some pants is if you make pants out of her breasts.
5. No stranger to risky fashion choices, Rihanna's leg-baring daring is only upstaged by the probable flammability of her outfit. The look she's going for here appears to be "Sexy Fire Hazard (With No Pants)."
4. The only male to grace our list is Sacha Baron Cohen, whose Bruno character seems bent on making sure that if gay people aren't free to get married in this country, they'll at least have the right to proudly wear cheetah-print leotards in lieu of pants.
3. Bodaciously beautiful Beyonce wears this look the only way it can be worn: with enough sass to send your head sailing off your shoulders. Also, we commend anyone who could coax Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg into masculinely embracing such hot sans-pants styles.
2. Over the course of her decades-long career, her Madgesty has made it royally clear that her kingdom is pants-optional.
1. Not much sense can be made of Lady GaGa's sartorial choices, but one thing is clear: She has emerged as the leotarded leader of this pantless revolution. In fact, no single artist has had this much of an impact on pants, as a concept, since Kris Kross were wearing them backwards.