Dean McDermott makes a surprise appearance on '@Home With Tori' amid divorce rumors
In a rare moment of positive Tori and Dean vibes, Dean McDermott not only appears on this week's edition of Tori Spelling's new reality series, he even flirts with the "Beverly Hills, 90210" alum. Last month, Us Weekly reported the spouses were in the midst of a "trial separation" amid ongoing rumors their marriage had reached its expiration date. But the Thursday, July 21 episode of "@Home With Tori" on VIZIO features a scene in which Dean joins Tori and their five kids in the backyard for a screening of Tori's 1989 comedy, "Troop Beverly Hills," according to Page Six. "Wait! Do you see me, you guys? That's me!" Tori hollers, pointing out her 14-year-old self. Cue the unexpectedly flirty, if underwhelming, comment from Dean: "You're so cute, babe." Dean, who was not included in Tori's family Christmas card this past year, has indicated he still has feelings for his wife a handful of times, including in the months since she confirmed to Jeff Lewis last year on SiriusXM that they were sleeping in separate rooms. Dean also failed to appear in the family holiday card at the end of 2020, although his name was included on that one. "LOVE this picture. I'm just bummed I wasn't there to be in it, I mean, I'm in it, but I'm not in it in it," Dean explained on Instagram at the time. He said he was working in Toronto and couldn't be home for the photo, adding, "I'm having a blast, but miss my Fam!!! Can't wait to see them and hug the crap out of them!!" According to Dean's Instagram profile, he's "married to the life of my life … Tori Spelling." Tori's profile does not mention Dean.
Keep reading for more news …
RELATED: An early exit shakes up 'Big Brother' Season 24, plus more major reality TV scandals
Kim Kardashian, Pete Davidson reportedly used NDAs, 'decoy cars' to keep Australia reunion under wraps
From "decoy cars" to staff NDAs, Kim Kardashian reportedly went to great lengths to keep a recent trip to Australia under wraps so she and Pete Davidson could enjoy their brief time together in relative peace. The Daily Mail reported Kim arrived Down Under on Saturday, July 16, to spend four days visiting Pete while he shoots "Wizards!" with Orlando Bloom. "This is the one percent of time that she doesn't want to have to worry about getting glammed up and just wants to switch off. She's just here to spend time with Pete and has no plans on leaving the hotel," a source told the outlet. "It's a very low-key trip and she doesn't want to be bothered. Kim is happy to say 'hi' to you if you bump into her, but she definitely doesn't want to get her photograph taken on this trip." To achieve that, the couple reportedly had staffer sign non-disclosure agreements, presumably regarding their activities and whereabouts. Kim's security also asked fans not to request photos with Kim or autographs and when "The Kardashians" star couldn't avoid leaving the hotel, she "used decoy cars" to throw potential snoops off-course, the Mail reported. The couple's mini-getaway comes on the heels of an interview in which Pete admitted he can't wait to become a dad, raising questions about how his future might align with Kim's, given her pursuit of a law degree while co-parenting four young kids with her ex, Kanye West. "Pete definitely wants to be a dad and him and Kim have spoken about that," an insider told ET this week, "but they are focused on building their relationship right now."
RELATED: Demi Moore makes it official with restauranteur beau, plus more celeb couple's Instagram debuts
Gwyneth Paltrow on why she doesn't miss acting 'at all'
Gwyneth Paltrow hasn't acted in a major role since "The Politician," which premiered on Netflix in 2019. And that's just fine with her. "I really don't miss it all," she tells Willy Geist in a new preview clip from the upcoming edition of "Sunday Today." In recent years, Gwyneth's pivoted her main professional focus to Goop, the lifestyle and wellness company she launched in 2008. "I think I'm so lucky that I got to do it, and I'm sure I still will at some point," she says of her film career. "But I really love what I do. I love how immediate it is and how we're able to create product out of thin air that we believe in so much." Gwyneth, 49, may not "daydream about the movie business," as she put it, but she does have an acting goal she intends to meet. "I did promise my mother that at some point before I die, I told her that I would go and do [another] play. So I'm going to deliver on that promise at some point," she said, referencing her mom, Blythe Danner." While Goop's continued success and expansion has certainly fueled the star's career shift, she's also said some of the realities working full-time in Hollywood weren't too appealing. Speaking to Bruce Bozzi on SiriusXM back in 2020, Gwyneth said the "intense media scrutiny" got to her, as did the inability to "put down roots" because of travel demands. And after winning an Oscar at 26 for "Shakespeare In Love," Gwyneth added, she was no longer sure what she was "driving towards" in the field.
RELATED: Take a look back at the best and worst fashion from the 2022 Oscars
Amber Heard takes first step to appeal Johnny Depp defamation verdict
On Thursday, July 21, Amber Heard's lawyers formally notified a Virginia court of their plans to file an appeal in Johnny Depp and Amber's defamation case over her 2018 op-ed about domestic abuse, which ended in June with the jury awarding Johnny millions more in damages than the $2 million it awarded Amber. (He was initially awarded $15 million, total; that number was decreased to $10.35 million due to a state cap.) In a statement to ET, Amber's rep cited "errors" the team believes were made by the court during the trial, leading them to appeal the verdict. "We believe the court made errors that prevented a just and fair verdict consistent with the First Amendment," Amber's rep said, in part. "… While we realize today's filing will ignite the Twitter bonfires, there are steps we need to take to ensure both fairness and justice." Johnny's rep also issued a statement to ET, telling the outlet the star's team is "confident" that "this verdict will stand," given the "the extensive evidence presented during the six-week trial" and the "clear and unanimous verdict that the defendant herself defamed Mr. Depp, in multiple instances." The jury also found Johnny defamed Amber, though it did not award her punitive damages. Amber's team recently filed a motion for a mistrial on grounds one of the jurors was not the person who was called to serve, but another man in the same household with the same name. The motion was denied.
Dave Chappelle standup set canceled hours before showtime
The fallout from Dave Chappelle's comments about transgender people continued this week in Minneapolis, where a venue canceled the comic's stand-up show just hours before the doors were set to open. On Wednesday, July 20, First Avenue posted the cancelation news on social media, sharing a message that suggested the club had been criticized for booking Dave. "To staff, artists and our community, we hear you and we are sorry," the statement read, in part. "We know we must hold ourselves to the highest standards, and we know we let you down. … The First Avenue team and you have worked hard to make our venues the safest space in the country, and we will continue with that mission. We believe in diverse voices and the freedom of artistic expression, but in honoring that, we lost sight of the impact this would have." The venue added that the show was relocated to the Varsity Theater, also in Minneapolis. Dave's stand-up material has featured numerous jokes at the expense of the LGBTQ community in recent years, but his Emmy nominated Netflix special sparked substantial backlash, including among Netflix employees, who staged a walkout over the special in 2021. High on critics' list of complaints were Dave's assertions that he's "team TERF," an acronym for "trans-exclusionary radical feminist," and that "gender is a fact," not a matter of identity.
Mandy Moore feared touring would 'adversely affect' her unborn child's health
Last month, Mandy Moore announced she was canceling the rest of her In Real Life tour to focus on her pregnancy, despite having looked forward to returning to music for years. In a new interview with Today Parents published this week, the singer and "This Is Us" alum explains how fear contributed to her decision to change course once she actually got on the road with a toddler in tow. Mandy figured she'd been able to care for Gus, 17 months, while filming the final season of "This Is Us," she said. But she wasn't pregnant at the time — nor were she and husband, Taylor Goldsmit, expecting their second child when she booked the tour, among other complicating factors. "As it turns out, being on a set is worlds away from being on a tour bus. It was like trying to sleep on a wooden rollercoaster," said Mandy, 39. "Gus would be standing up in his Pack N' Play while the bus was shaking — and I was like, 'No, no, no. We can't do this anymore.' I foolishly thought 'if I did it before, I can do it again.' But every pregnancy is different. This time, I was caring for a toddler. I was walking around feeling like an absolute shell of myself," she continued. The tour involved a demanding schedule and little sleep, to boot. "I was scared I was going to adversely affect my [unborn] baby and his growth," she explained. "I'd been looking forward to this for a decade and half," she added. "But ultimately, nothing trumps your health, and the health of your baby." Mandy and Taylor, who fronts the folk-rock indie band Dawes, are expecting a little brother for Gus in October.
BBC formally apologizes to royal family for Martin Bashir's Princess Diana interview
The BBC formally apologized to the British royal family this week for Martin Bashir's controversial 1995 interview with Princess Diana. On Thursday, July 21, the BBC's director-general Tim Davie apologized to Prince Charles, Prince William and Prince Harry for Diana's sit-down with the journalist, who the network has said "deceived and induced" the princess in order to get her to appear. Vowing to "never show the program again," the BBC also promised not to "license it in whole or in part to other broadcasters" going forward, according to GMA.com. "It is a matter of great regret that the BBC did not get to the facts in the immediate aftermath of the program when there were warning signs that the interview might have been obtained improperly," the director said in his statement. "Instead, as The Duke of Cambridge himself put it, the BBC failed to ask the tough questions," he continued. "Had we done our job properly Princess Diana would have known the truth during her lifetime. We let her, The Royal Family and our audiences down." In the interview, Diana discussed her marriage to Prince Charles and commented on his widely rumored affair with the woman he'd go on to marry, Camilla, now the Duchess of Cornwall. She died in a car crash two years after the interview aired.