By Isabella Torregiani
4:38pm PST, Feb 19, 2026
_
King Charles and Queen Camilla may have to rethink their upcoming U.S. trip after campaigners threatened a "no holds barred" protest over the visit's perceived support for President Donald Trump.Keep reading for more on the royal controversy …
MORE: Follow Wonderwall on MSN for more
_
King Charles and Queen Camilla reportedly intend to celebrate the 250th anniversary of U.S. independence with a visit to President Donald Trump in April.Campaigners, however, have cautioned that an "attack" campaign from American activists may await them.
Political strategist Steve Schmidt, co-founder of the pro-democracy Save America Movement, said the monarchs could face a "humiliating, no holds barred" barrage once on U.S. soil.
_
According to Steve Schmidt, Americans may take issue with the trip's implied "celebration" of Donald Trump's controversial administration and could follow the lead of U.K. activists last year, who projected images of him with Jeffrey Epstein onto buildings."I will project images onto buildings in New York City," he told the "Daily Beast" podcast. "I will run ad campaigns that … boggle the British imagination."
"Should the King come to Washington, it will be a celebration of Donald Trump in a moment of existential crisis for American democracy," Schmidt continued. "Should he set foot on American soil in service of MAGA as a propaganda tool, then the crown will be attacked with an advertising campaign that would not be permitted in England. It will be no holds barred. It will be mortifying for the entire British government."
The Save America Movement previously ran ads in Denmark against Trump's push for Greenland and is preparing to invest as much as $100 million in the lead-up to the November midterm elections.
_
While Buckingham Palace has not officially confirmed this year's U.S. state visit, reports suggest that the monarch plans to commemorate the milestone anniversary just months after hosting Donald Trump on an extravagant U.K. trip.Last September, the U.S. president's admiration for the Royal Family was evident during a state banquet and 41-gun salute, when he described King Charles as an "elegant gentleman" and a "friend."
_
Jennie Bond, a royal expert, said King Charles is "the perfect person" to bridge the gap between Donald Trump and other Western nations."Because the President is so enamored with British royalty and so hopelessly flattered by any attention he's given by the royal family, they have become key players in the so-called special relationship," she told The Mirror.
"But you have to remember that the King acts on the wishes of the Government. So the decision about any state visit to America is entirely dependent on what the Prime Minister and his Government want."