Britney Spears tackles quarantine boredom with an at-home fashion show
After raising some eyebrows on Wednesday, March 26, with a claim she'd run a 5-minute 100-meter dash — which Instagram users noted would make her faster than Olympian Usain Bolt — Britney Spears came up with a new way to pass the time as she continues a two-week quarantine at home: a solo fashion show using old items from the back of her closet stash. On Thursday, the singer shared a video clip that showed her trying on a variety of brightly colored dresses and outfits. "Okay I guess I'm bored …. in my home for two weeks of quarantine and I'm modeling dresses I never knew I had 😂😂👗👠💕🙄 !!!!" she captioned the post. "I tried to screen shot a picture but it didn't work 🤷♀️🤷♀️🤷♀️ I realized I had my hair in a pony tail and no shoes 😂😂😅," she joked, adding, "anyhow I got this cute video !!!" By the time she posted the clip, she'd already taken down the post about running her "first 5," where, TBH, it sounded like she was innocently assuming the distance she'd run was 100 meters without having checked it. Anyway, by Thursday, she was back in search of indoor activities. "I was tired of being still so I got up to go dance in this orange dress 💃🏼 ," she wrote in the fashion show post. "….. and do you know what I just learned today ??!? That orange symbolizes wealth, success, stimulation, happiness, fun, balance, sexuality, enjoyment, expression, heat, sunshine, and warmth ☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️🧘🏼♀️ and that's how I felt when I put it on !!!!!!" Finally, Brit acknowledged the running claim. "PS …. obviously I was joking about running the 100 meter dash in 5.97 seconds …. ," she wrote. "The world record is held by Usain Bolt which is 9.58 seconds …. but you better believe I'm coming for the world record 😂 !!!!"
Keep reading for the latest on Rihanna's new music …
RELATED: The business of being Britney Spears
Rihanna fans respond to new music with mixed reviews as Gov. Cuomo praises singer
Rihanna's fans expressed some not-so-mild annoyance this week when she finally released her first new music in three years — and it turned out to be nothing more than a five-word chorus and backing vocals, according to the New York Daily News. The song, "Believe It," was a collaboration with PARTYNEXTDOOR that may or may not be tied to her much-anticipated ninth studio album. Rih did manage to win over some folks, though, namely, New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who tweeted about his gratitude to the singer on Thursday after she and her Clara Lionel Foundation donated $5 million towards organizations supporting food banks that serve "at-risk communities, distribution of respiratory supplies and protective gear, testing resources in underprivileged countries and training for health workers," according to Page Six. "I want to thank @rihanna and the Rihanna Foundation for donating Personal Protective Equipment to New York State," tweeted the governor of New York, where the coronavirus-related death toll hovers at 40 percent of the country's total. "We're so appreciative of your help and that of so many others who have stepped up," Cuomo added.
RELATED: Rihanna's best fashion moments
Mason Disick dodges his mom and dad to open TikTok account
Mason Disick's mom and dad recently nixed the 10-year-old's Instagram account, but that didn't stop him from dodging his parents, Kourtney Kardashian and Scott Disick, and setting up a TikTok. Page Six reports Mason told followers his mom thinks he's "too young" for the IG platform, which the young reality star had already used to share an update on the status of his aunt Kylie Jenner's relationship with Travis Scott. (They're not back together, according to Mason.) "I went viral," he said at one point in a post. "I would've had 2.7 mil [followers] by now if I kept it up." By Friday, March 27, however, it looked like Kourtney and Scott intervened again, this time deleting one of the two TikTok accounts he had going.
RELATED: Celebs and their cute kids in 2020
Hoda Kotb breaks down after discussing Louisiana's coronavirus spike with Drew Brees
As the pandemic continues its devastating global course, it's probably safe to assume that at this point, most of us have had a moment like the one Hoda Kotb had after she interviewed New Orleans Saints Quarterback Drew Brees on the Friday, March 27, edition of "Today." Hoda lived in New Orleans for most of the '90s, working as a news anchor there from 1992 until 1998. The avowed Saints fan welcomed Drew on the show — remotely, of course — to talk about his recent $5 million donation for to the state of Louisiana, which as of Friday was tied for the nation's second-highest rate of coronavirus cases per capita, with nearly 2800 confirmed cases. (Orleans Parish, where New Orleans sits, now holds the highest per-capita coronavirus death rate of any county in the country "by far" according to Nola.com.) Hoda got through her video call with the football star, who urged viewers to "hang in there and maintain hope," calling the virus "another one of those bits of adversity" like Katrina and the BP oil spill that's poised to let residents "come out better on the other side," according to Vanity Fair. Hoda pointed out that "a lot of things are contagious, including generosity," and said she hoped bringing Drew on the show would inspire more donations. After the interview segment ended, though, the camera showed a split-screen of Hoda and her friend and colleague Savannah Guthrie. Hoda's eyes quickly filled with tears. She turned away from the camera, still trying to smile," and apologized repeatedly. "I know," Savannah said, "it's a lot … I know where your heart is, my dear." Drew and his wife Brittany Brees' donation was earmarked for meals for those in need, which Hoda added is a high number by national average terms. Drew also expressed concern about the state's recovery, given its hospitality, tourism and small business-driven economy.
Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan are reportedly now living in Los Angeles
Shortly after Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan announced their controversial plans to "step back" from their royal duties and spend half their time in North America, reports surfaced indicating the couple intended to get a house in Los Angeles. Now, ET is reporting the pair have already left their Canadian home in Vancouver Island and is settling into life in L. A. "It was always their plan to eventually be based in California since their work-life will be focused in the US," a source tells the website. As of Friday, March 27, reps for Meghan and Harry had not commented.
Laura Prepon reveals her mother taught her bulimia
In her new book, "You & I, as Mothers," Laura Prepon writes extensively about her relationship with her mom, who now has Alzheimer's, and how that changed her own approach to motherhood when she welcomed her kids, now 3 and 1-month old, with Ben Foster. Part of that story involves Laura's mom, Marjorie, teaching her bulimia. "It started when I was 15 and lasted until my late twenties," Laura, now 40, tells People. "When I became a mother, I came face to face with a lot of things I wasn't wanting to look at. How I was mothered and the dysfunction that was passed down to me. One that took me years and years to find my way out of." The "Orange Is the New Black" star goes on to describe how her "eccentric, outgoing" mom taught her how to lose weight so she could start modeling at age 15 by weighing Laura and routinely measuring her food. "That's when my mom told me, 'You can have your cake and eat it too.' I was taught what to eat and what time limit. 'Don't eat Chinese or pizza.' It's too hard to get back up," Laura recalls. She goes on to describe how the purging "became a strange bond, a shared secret, which made us closer somehow," and acknowledges that her mother came from a different time and was probably "trying to help me in her own way." Still, Laura's eating disorder raged on for years, as did her mom's. "When my mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's seven years ago, that's when it really hit," Laura admits. "She got the diagnosis and continued with her bulimia. I thought, 'At what point do you stop?' It was scary and I did not want that to be me." Finally, she says she started studying nutrition, engaging in "moderation" and learning to love herself.
Jada Pinkett Smith praises Willow Smith for shaving her head
Two weeks after Willow Smith shaved her head (again) as part of a performance art collaboration with Tyler Cole, she discussed the experience with her mom, Jada Pinkett Smith, who was all for Willow's act of self-expression. "The first time you shaved your head [was] when you were 12 years old. But this time, you came into a womanhood. So, kudos to you," Jada told her 19-year-old daughter (via Us Weekly) on "Red Table Talk." "I feel like I was just shedding a lot of history and emotional baggage," Willow replied. "Six, 7, years of emotion, I just let it go." After the performance, which Willow and Tyler staged at the Geffen Contemporary at the Museum of Contemporary Art Los Angeles, they released their new album, "Anxiety."
Bruno Mars donates $1M to out-of-work MGM Resorts employees
Bruno Mars joined the growing list of celebrities and athletes who are doing what they can to support coronavirus relief efforts. On Thursday, March 26, the singer announced he was donating $1 million to the newly launched MGM Resorts Foundation to support employees at MGM Resorts, where Mars is a regular performer on the Las Vegas Strip. The Review-Journal reports the donation will specifically go towards the MGM Resorts Foundation's Employee Emergency Grant Fund & Children's Medical Support Fund, both of which help furloughed or laid-off workers who have lost income because of the pandemic.
Evangeline Lilly apologizes for social distancing comments
Evangeline Lilly has apologized for an Instagram post in which she boasted about taking her kids to gymnastics camp and said she had no intention of altering her family's practices because of the coronavirus pandemic. This week, she rescinded that statement. "I am writing you from my home where I have been social distancing since Mar 18th — when social distancing was instituted in the small community where I am currently living," the actress shared (via CNN). "I want to offer my sincere and heartfelt apology for the insensitivity I showed in my previous post to the very real suffering and fear that has gripped the world through COVID19. Grandparents, parents, children, sisters and brothers are dying, the world is rallying to find a way to stop this very real threat, and my ensuing silence has sent a dismissive, arrogant and cryptic message," she continued. Evangeline also noted she was initially following the guidelines she was in given in her community, saying those later changed. "PLEASE KNOW I AM DOING MY PART TO FLATTEN THE CURVE, PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCING AND STAYING HOME WITH MY FAMILY," she told followers. "When I wrote that post 10 days ago, I thought I was infusing calm into the hysteria. I can see now that I was projecting my own fears into an already fearful and traumatic situation." In her initial post, she said her father is suffering from Stage 4 leukemia and that she is "immune compromised."
Judge denies Amber Heard's motion to dismiss Johnny Depp's defamation suit against her
Amber Heard has lost her bid to have the $50 million defamation suit her ex-husband Johnny Depp filed against her dismissed. A judge notified lawyers for the prosecution and defense on Friday, March 27, that Heard's motion had been denied, Deadline reports. "Today's decision leaves it to a jury to decide the meaning of Ms. Heard's op-ed and the truth of what she said," Amber's lawyer, Roberta Kaplan, told the outlet. "As we have said all along, the courts have strong mechanisms in place for determining the truth… Here, we remain confident that Ms. Heard will prevail at trial when the jury is presented with evidence on the question that the Court identified – namely, whether 'Ms. Heard was abused by Mr. Depp.'" Johnny maintains he never abused Amber. He sued her for defamation over a piece she wrote that implied he had gotten physical with her during their marriage.