Amber Heard addresses upcoming courtroom showdown against ex, Johnny Depp
Amber Heard is taking a break from social media as she and her ex, Johnny Depp, head back to court. "I'm going to go offline for the next several weeks," Amber, 35, told her Instagram and Twitter followers on April 9. "As you may know, I'll be in Virginia, where I face my ex-husband Johnny Depp in court. Johnny is suing me for an op-ed I wrote in the Washington Post, in which I recounted my experience of violence and domestic abuse," she wrote, referencing the 58-year-old actor's $50 million libel suit against her. "I never named him, rather I wrote about the price women pay for speaking out against men in power. I continue to pay that price, but hopefully when this case concludes, I can move on and so can Johnny. I have always maintained a love for Johnny and it brings me great pain to have to live out the details of our past life together in front of the world." Amber concluded by acknowledging "the ongoing support I've been fortunate to receive throughout these years," adding, "in these coming weeks I will be leaning on it more than ever." The former couple previously faced off in court in 2020 amid Johnny's suit against British tabloid The Sun, which he claimed had defamed him by referring to him as "a wife beater" in 2018. A judge found in favor of the publication after Amber testified he'd assaulted her before and during their marriage.
Keep reading for more news …
RELATED: Celebrity splits of 2022
Will Smith joins a long list of stars who've been banned from the Oscars
On April 8, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences announced Will Smith has been barred from attending the Oscars and all other Academy events for the next 10 years after he slapped Chris Rock onstage at the 2022 awards show. Will, 53, is not the first star to be banned from the ceremony, though. In 1993, Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins were banned from future Oscars events after they used their Oscars presenter platforms to make political statements. Richard was protesting China's occupation of Tibet, while then-couple Susan and Tim lashed out at the U.S. government for detaining HIV-positive Haitian refugees in Guantanamo Bay, all of which apparently infuriated the show's producer, Gil Cates. Those stars' bans were later lifted, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Other bans have remained in place. In 2017, Harvey Weinstein's sexual assault conviction inspired the Academy to add a code of conduct stating the group will not allow "people who abuse their status, power or influence in a manner that violates standards of decency." The producer was also banned from attending future Academy sanctioned events. One year later, Bill Cosby was also banned after he was found guilty of drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand. Roman Polanski, who fled the country in 1978 after confessing he'd had "unlawful sex" with a 13-year-old girl, was eventually expelled from the Academy in 2018. The disparity between Will and Roman's timelines — two weeks versus three decades — has raised questions about the role race may have played in the decions.
Jack White gets engaged — and married — to Olivia Jean onstage in Detroit
In his song, "Hotel Yorba," Jack White sings, "Let's get married in a big cathedral by a priest." But Jack's girlfriend, Olivia Jean, didn't seem to realize the former White Stripes frontman had something up his sleeve when he asked her to join him for a duet on the tune while performing at the Masonic Temple in his hometown of Detroit on April 8. That something turned out to be an onstage proposal — and a wedding, just few moments after Olivia said "yes." According to People, Jack's mom and dad were at the show when he popped the question. After the Black Belles singer accepted his ring, Jack, who'd played the National Anthem earlier that day at the Detroit Tigers' home opener, told the sold-out crowd, "It's been such a great day," then asked, "Mind if we get married right now?" That's when Ben Swank, who co-founded Jack's Third Man Records, appeared to officiate. "Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life," he quipped, quoting Prince's "Let's Go Crazy," before pronouncing the two husband and wife.
Simon Cowell says wedding date is a 'surprise' for fiancee Lauren Silverman
Simon Cowell says he's 100 percent in charge of planning his upcoming wedding to Lauren Silverman. In fact, he's planning to surprise her with the ceremony. "I am planning it all, otherwise I know what will happen — there will be 600 people and it'll get out of control, like my 50th birthday party. No one knows when it's going to be — that'll be a surprise, even for Lauren," the "X Factor" star tells The Sun. "I don't want to have one of these ghastly wedding planners and all the arguments that happen, and who you do invite and who you don't invite. The whole thing just seems like too much hassle," he added. Simon, 62, popped the question to Lauren, 44, over the holidays in 2021. Asked about the engagement itself, he said the two had "sort of discussed rings" and he knew what he thought she'd like. "I'm not romantic, obviously. I didn't get down on one knee," he noted. Simon explained he was partly thinking about the couple's son when he proposed after nearly eight years. "I've kind of felt myself engaged for a long time, if I'm really being honest," he said. "Lockdown and COVID were probably make or break for many relationships. We were in the same house for over a year and I thought, 'Well, actually, we get on really, really well.' And for Eric, as he gets older, he will be asked more and more about his parents, and I thought it was the right thing to do for him. I also just couldn't see myself ever dating anyone again. The idea of going out on a first date now is too weird."
Will Pete Davidson join Kim on Hulu's 'The Kardashians'?
Fans of Kim Kardashian's new romance with Pete Davidson will have to wait to see the two onscreen together on Kim's new show. That's according to TMZ, which reported over the weekend that "cameras were rolling" at last week's premiere of Hulu's new series, "The Kardashians." Crews for the Kar-Jenner family's new reality show reportedly filmed Kim, 40, and Pete, 28, as they arrived together in Los Angeles for the event at Goya Studios. They continued to capture footage of the two over the course of the evening up until they headed to dinner together at Jon & Vinny's after the premiere. According to a "Hulu source," however, Season 1 has wrapped production, and Pete is not likely to appear until Season 2. "The Kardashians" hits the streamer on April 14.
Paris Hilton and Carter Reum are hoping for twins
Newlyweds Paris Hilton and Carter Reum are ready for kids — twins, if possible. Paris, 41, recently appears on "The Bellas" podcast, where she gushed about her marriage and family plans to hosts Nikki Bella and Brie Bella. "I love being married," Paris said, according to Page Six. "I just feel like I finally found my perfect match and I just feel so safe. I finally have my home and I just can't wait to start a family and have kids." She went on to say she and Carter, 41, have "been talking about kids since the beginning — since the first couple, like, months of dating," and added that they "would love to have twins," telling the twin sisters, "that would be amazing." Paris and Carter tied the knot in November 2021 at her grandfather's estate in Los Angeles. Earlier that year, she revealed on "The Trend Reporter with Mara" podcast that she was planning to try IVF "so I can pick twins if I like," an option she said her pal Kim Kardashian told her about. "I would like a twin boy and girl just to, like, get both, but whatever happens happens," Paris told Nikki and Brie. "But I would love that or twin girls because I love girls." Shortly after the pair's wedding last fall, a rep for Carter confirmed he has a daughter from a previous relationship.
Camila Cabello confirms new track references Fifth Harmony departure
Camila Cabello says she's "in a good place" with her former Fifth Harmony bandmates, despite rumors about the terms on which she left the group back in 2016. She even references Normani, Lauren Jauregui, Ally Brooke and Dinah Jane on her new album, "Familia." Asked about the lyrics to her track "Psychofreak," where she sings, "I don't blame the girls for how it went down …," the 25-year-old recently told Reuters the girls in question were Fifth Harmony. "That song is basically about anxiety and all of the different things that have made up, like, my journey with anxiety and starting off really young in the industry," she explained. "We have been, like, supportive of each other through, like, DMs and stuff. I'm, like, in a really good place with them," she added. Fifth Harmony got their start in 2012 on "The X Factor." Within a few years of Camila's departure, they'd decided to go on indefinite hiatus and begun to pursue solo projects.