Get caught up on all the global royals news you might have missed in November 2020 — from royals' COVID-19 diagnoses and fresh details about a princess's alleged affair with her bodyguard to some happy birthdays, a special anniversary and a Buckingham Palace diss aimed at Prince Harry… Let's start with this news… On Nov. 26 and 27, Duchess Kate began revealing the results of her passion project, the "5 Big Questions on the Under Fives," that she launched early in 2020. The first insight from the "landmark research" initiative commissioned by The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and conducted by Ipsos MORI — to which almost a million people responded — is that "98% of you said that nurture is essential to lifelong outcomes. But just one in four recognise the specific importance of the first five years of a child's life," Kate explained. Insight 2: "90% of people see parental mental health and wellbeing as being critical to a child's development, but in reality people do very little to prioritise themselves. Only 10% of parents mentioned taking the time to look after their own wellbeing when asked how they had prepared for the arrival of their baby." Insight 3: 70% of parents feel judged by others and among these parents, nearly half feel this negatively impacts their mental health. Read more, and learn about the final two insights, here. "Next year, The Duchess will announce ambitious plans to help elevate the importance of early childhood," a Kensington Palace spokesperson told BAZAAR.com. Keep reading for more global royals news for November 2020…
RELATED: Global royals wearing face masks
Two Swedish royals disclose COVID-19 diagnoses
Sweden's Prince Carl Philip and wife Princess Sofia tested positive for COVID-19 after experiencing flu-like symptoms on Nov. 25, Expressen reported the following day. They feel relatively well so far, the Royal Court's director of the Information and Press Department, told the Swedish newspaper. Other members of the royal family including Sweden's king and queen and Crown Princess Victoria and her husband were tested — as of Nov. 26, they were all negative — because they were in the same room as Carl Philip and Sofia during a small funeral service for Queen Silvia's brother on Nov. 20.
RELATED: Famous people who've had COVID-19
Duchess Meghan shares heartbreaking miscarriage news in powerful essay
Duchess Meghan revealed in a New York Times op-ed published on Nov. 25 that she suffered a miscarriage in July. In the piece titled "The Losses We Share," Meghan wrote about the moment she knew she realized she and husband Prince Harry were in the throes of a pregnancy loss: After taking 1-year-old son Archie from his crib and changing his diaper, she felt a sudden, sharp cramp and dropped to the floor. "I knew, as I clutched my firstborn child, that I was losing my second," she wrote. Later, "Sitting in a hospital bed, watching my husband's heart break as he tried to hold the shattered pieces of mine, I realized that the only way to begin to heal is to first ask, 'Are you OK?'" She went on to reference a moment captured in a documentary she and Harry made while on a tour of southern Africa in 2019 when a journalist asked her if she was OK. The moment was transformational for her. Meghan went on to address how 2020 has brought so many people "to our breaking points" amid the pandemic, racial injustice, political divides, the questioning of science and more. Read her entire piece here.
RELATED: The best photos from Harry and Meghan's final run of events as senior working royals in 2020
Prince William and Duchess Meghan shared some emotional news on Nov. 22: They were mourning the death of their family dog, Lupo. "Very sadly last weekend our dear dog, Lupo, passed away. He has been at the heart of our family for the past nine years and we will miss him so much. – W & C," they captioned a photo of the beautiful black cocker spaniel on Instagram. Lupo joined their family shortly after the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge married in 2011 — he was part of a litter born to Kate's parents' dog, Ella. He also memorably appeared in their first family portraits with newborn Prince George in 2013, seen here.
RELATED: Royals with cute animals
Princess Michael of Kent is latest British royal to have COVID-19
Another British royal is recovering from COVID-19: Princess Michael of Kent, who's married to Queen Elizabeth II's first cousin Prince Michael of Kent. "Princess Michael of Kent's housekeeper fell ill three weeks ago and HRH was immediately tested and was found to be positive for COVID," her spokesman, Simon Astaire, told The Sun on Sunday on Nov. 21, adding, "She and her husband Prince Michael have remained in isolation at Kensington Palace ever since. Prince Michael did not test positive." A source close to the royal couple further told the tabloid that the princess was been "suffering from extreme fatigue and has terrible fevers."
Monaco's future ruler steals the show on the principality's National Day
On Nov. 19, Monaco's royal family celebrated Monaco National Day with a mass and an outdoor ceremony. Though Prince Albert II led the festivities, it was one of his 5-year-old twins, son Prince Jacques — who will one day ascend to the Monegasque throne — who stole the show as he saluted in his mini carabinier uniform. Albert, wife Princess Charlene, Jacques and twin sister Princess Gabriella are seen here outside Prince's Palace on the big day.
Prince Harry shares U.K. home Frogmore Cottage with pregnant cousin Princess Eugenie
On Nov. 20, The Sun revealed that Princess Eugenie and husband Jack Brooksbank had two weeks earlier moved into Frogmore Cottage — the five-bedroom U.K. family home of her cousin, Prince Harry, his wife, Duchess Meghan, and their son, Archie. However, since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are now based in California, the cottage — which is near the home of Eugenie's parents, The Royal Lodge, in Windsor, England — Harry offered to share the renovated property with his cousin, who's pregnant with her first child and to whom he's long been quite close, reports revealed. "Frogmore was kitted out to Meghan and Harry's tastes with son Archie in mind, so it is the perfect place for a couple to bring up a baby," a source told the tabloid. "It has the bonus of being around the corner from her parents and, of course, the queen," who's been living at Windsor Castle with husband Prince Philip amid the coronavirus pandemic.
New claims emerged about Princess Haya's alleged affair with her bodyguard
On Nov. 20, new details emerged about the messy 2019 split between Princess Haya of Jordan and the ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who battled over custody of their two kids in a London court this spring. MailOnline reported that Haya — a former Olympic equestrian and daughter of the late King Hussein of Jordan who fled Dubai for the U.K. in April 2019 with their children amid claims she was afraid for her life and that the kids would be abducted and forcibly returned to Dubai — had a two-year affair with one of her British bodyguards, Russell Flowers (pictured), and paid him $1.6 million to keep quiet about their relationship. A close friend of Russell's wife told MailOnline that the affair ended his four-year marriage and that Haya — who was the sixth wife of the billionaire ruler — gave Russell luxury gifts including a $16,000 watch, a humidor full of expensive cigars, cash and a vintage shotgun. MailOnline further claimed that three other bodyguards were paid $1.6 million each to keep details of the relationship private, though the website also wrote that "it is understood the princess disputes a number of the claims being made about the affair."
Britain's queen and her consort celebrate 73rd wedding anniversary
On Nov. 20, Britain's Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip celebrated their 73rd wedding anniversary. To mark the occasion, they released a photograph showing them opening a homemade card from great-grandchildren Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's children. The picture was taken earlier in the week in the Oak Room at Windsor Castle, the BBC reported. The sovereign was still 21-year-old Princess Elizabeth when she exchanged vows with 26-year-old Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten, who was born a prince of Greece and Denmark, in London's Westminster Abbey.
Season 4 of 'The Crown' sparks controversy as it chronicles the Princess Diana and Margaret Thatcher years
After season 4 of "The Crown" — which takes viewers into the Princess Diana and Margaret Thatcher years of Britain's royal family — dropped on Netflix on Nov. 15, and it instantly sparked controversy. Dozens of media outlets ran stories exploring fact vs. fiction moments on the show, and reports claimed members of Britain's royal family as well as palace courtiers were livid over how certain relationships were portrayed as the award-winning series explored a controversial and painful time for the Windsors. Some royal watchers found it all silly, as they believed it to be common knowledge that the Peter Morgan-penned show is a fictionalized account of the family's ups and downs. But apparently, some viewers believe everything they're watching is the truth. "I think the difficulty is knowing which is the truth and which isn't … particularly for the younger generation who are watching who hadn't lived through those times, who didn't know those people, they are going to believe what they see. They are going to see this as a documentary," former BBC royal correspondent Jennie Bond told the BBC's Newscast podcast, as reported by The New York Times.
Queen Elizabeth II's eldest grandchild celebrates a birthday
On Nov. 15, Queen Elizabeth II's eldest grandchild, Peter Phillips — whose parents are Princess Anne and her ex-husband, Captain Mark Phillips — turned 43. Early in the year, he and wife Autumn (pictured with him in March) — who share two daughters — announced plans to divorce after 11 years of marriage.
The Prince of Wales turns 72
On Nov. 14, Britain's next king — Prince Charles, the longest serving heir apparent in British history — celebrated his 72nd birthday.
Dan Stevens joins voice cast of HBO Max's animated royal family satire series
On Nov. 13, it was announced that "Downton Abbey" and "Beauty and the Beast" star Dan Stevens is taking over the voice roles of Prince Charles and Prince Philip from fellow British actor Tom Hollander for the upcoming HBO Max animated royal satirical spoof series "The Prince." The snarky cartoon was created by former "Family Guy" and "Will and Grace" producer Gary Janetti, who voices a catty young George. Also among the voice cast: Sophie Turner as Princess Charlotte, Orlando Bloom as Prince Harry, Alan Cumming as George's butler, Owen, Iwan Rheon as Prince William, Lucy Punch as Duchess Kate, Condola Rashad as Duchess Meghan and Frances de la Tour as Queen Elizabeth II.
Japan formally names the emperor's heir
On Nov. 8, Japan formally proclaimed Fumihito, Prince Akishino — the crown prince of Japan — first in the line of succession. The move officially made him elder brother Emperor Naruhito's heir. (Naruhito became emperor in 2019 after their father abdicated the Chrysanthemum Throne — the first abdication in two centuries.) The day's ceremonies, which were postponed from April due to the coronavirus pandemic, were scaled back and featured attendees wearing masks. In Japan, only males can inherit the throne, so he is one of just three heirs along with his teenage son, Prince Hisahito, and his uncle, Prince Hitachi, the younger brother of Emperor Emeritus Akihito.
Buckingham Palace disses Prince Harry
Queen Elizabeth II was accompanied by nine members of Britain's royal family, including heirs Prince Charles and Prince William, at London's Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday, Nov. 8, for a socially distanced wreath-laying ceremony to pay tribute to Britain's war dead. As reported by Britain's Sunday Times, Prince Harry — who stepped down as a senior working royal in March — made a personal request to Buckingham Palace asking if a wreath could be laid in his name, but it "was denied by courtiers on the grounds that he is no longer representing the monarchy," the paper wrote. The rejection sparked controversy considering that Harry served in the British army for a decade, did two tours in Afghanistan and founded the Invictus Games, a sports competition event for injured military personnel while a photographer representing the tabloid The Sun was permitted to lay a wreath. Harry and wife Duchess Meghan, meanwhile, marked the day and Remembrance Day in the U.K. by paying a visit to the Los Angeles National Cemetery where they laid flowers Meghan picked in the garden of their new home at the gravesites of two Commonwealth soldiers. (People magazine has the photos.) Harry also placed a wreath at an obelisk in the L.A. cemetery. "To all of those who have served, and are serving. Thank you," Harry wrote in a message accompanying the wreath.
Queen Elizabeth II's second youngest grandchild turns 17
How time flies! On Nov. 8, Lady Louise Windsor — the eldest child of Britain's Prince Edward and his wife, Sophie, Countess of Wessex — celebrated her 17th birthday. The teenager began studying for her A-levels in English, history, politics and drama in September, HELLO! Magazine reported. Louise, like grandmother Queen Elizabeth II, is a passionate horse rider. The equestrian and carriage driver has competed in the British Driving Society Championship for Young Drivers., HELLO! Noted.
Britain's monarch wears a face mask in public for the first time
Queen Elizabeth II was seen publicly wearing a face mask for the first time since the start of the worldwide coronavirus pandemic during a ceremony at London's Westminster Abbey on Nov. 4 that she attended to mark the centenary of the burial of the Unknown Warrior. The grave of the Unknown Warrior is the final resting place of an unidentified British serviceman who died on the battlefields during World War I and whose body was brought from Northern France and buried at Westminster Abbey on Nov. 11, 1920.
Spain's former queen turns 82
The former Queen Sofia of Spain – the mother of Spain's current king was born princess Sophia of Greece in 1938 — celebrated her 82nd birthday on Nov. 2.
Prince William secretly battled COVID-19 in April
On Nov. 1, Britain's The Sun tabloid broke the news that Prince William was diagnosed with COVID-19 back in April shortly after Prince Charles and U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson confirmed they had the illness. But unlike his father and the political leader, the Duke of Cambridge decided to keep his diagnosis a secret so as not to further alarm the nation, The Sun and other outlets learned. The move sparked widespread criticism. The newspaper further reported that William received treatment from palace physicians and quarantined away from his family at their Anmer Hall home in Norfolk, England. "At one stage he was struggling to breathe, so obviously everyone around him was pretty panicked," a source told The Sun, though other outlets pointed out that William made multiple appearances in online video conferences as he continued to carry out his duties. According to a Nov. 2 tweet from Daily Mail royals reporter Rebecca English, Kensington Palace officials "have belatedly confirmed that Prince William did have coronavirus in April — [but] [Duchess] Kate and the children did not. Valid questions as to why this was kept secret, although KP say he didn't want to alarm people after his father's diagnosis."