Matt Lauer reportedly 'wants to work again;' could his feuds with Ronan Farrow and Savannah Guthrie get in the way?
What's next for Matt Lauer? After he was fired in 2017 amid allegations of sexual misconduct and rape, the former "Today" host had been laying low in the Hamptons, enjoying a romance with Shamin Abas. But he spoke out this month in an op-ed for Mediaite, reiterating that he'd been "falsely accused" of rape by Brooke Nevils and questioning Ronan Farrow's reporting about him in "Catch and Kill," just as a New York Times piece cast suspicion on Farrow's work. Now, multiple outlets are asking what Lauer's next move might be. On one hand, the Times piece might help bolster his claims, in spite of NBC's determination that Lauer acted inappropriately on the job. Multiple sources tell People the 62-year-old isn't finished fighting to clear his name and return to journalism, though they have different opinions on whether his primary focus is getting a job, fixing his reputation or "[taking] down" Farrow, whom one source believes he "blames" for "getting him labeled a rapist." That source adds Lauer still "completely believes" he and Nevils had "a consensual affair," and implies he wants others to see it that way, too, telling the outlet: "Matt cares so much about what people think about him, even though he might not want to admit that." On the other hand, it remains to be seen whether Lauer can or even wants to make amends with key members of his industry, like Savannah Guthrie. Us Weekly reports Lauer "was especially upset" that Guthrie offered "new details" when allegations against him first surfaced, since they were close. Snipes an Us source: "She refused then and still does to this very day to listen to what Matt's got to say. From the second the story came out, he feels Savannah jumped on the opportunity to bury him. It's a betrayal in Matt's eyes." It seems Lauer and Guthrie's feud has clouded relationships in their overlapping circles, too. "Neither can talk with mutual friends without bringing up the other's name," says the insider. "It's gotten really bad."
Keep reading for the latest on Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's post-split relationship …
Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie are reportedly in a much better place as the family prepares for Shiloh Jolie-Pitt's birthday
Shiloh Jolie-Pitt, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's first biological daughter, turned 14 on Wednesday — and there's a good chance her dad is a little emotional about it this week. A source tells ET the two are close, explaining that the Oscar-winning actor is "so proud of Shiloh and who she has become." Says the source: "He loves that she always stays true to herself and is so good to her brothers and sisters. Shiloh is close to both of her parents. All the kids have been looking forward to Shiloh's birthday and plan to celebrate with a birthday cake." The insider also revealed Shiloh's mom and dad are finally on solid ground as co-parents of their six kids and as exes, four years after they announced their split. Since then, Brad has gotten sober and maintained a special focus on his kids. "Brad's kids are the most important thing to him," ET's source says. "He tells his friends he learns so much about life from his own children." The insider also revealed that after years of battle over custody issues, Brad and Angelina are in a good place: "[They] have been getting along so much better since the custody rules have been worked out. They have come so far."
RELATED: Celebrity splits of 2020
Blake Lively trolls Ryan Reynolds over edited undies pic
It's been a while since we caught Blake Lively in the act of trolling her husband, Ryan Reynolds, on social media — arguably one of her favorite pastimes. Thankfully, the digital satire artist Ronald McDonkey stepped in on Instagram on Tuesday to end the drought, courtesy of an edited image of a guy clad in a yellow and white crop top emblazoned with the word "Fun" and a stars-and-stripes speedo lying on a grocery checkout conveyer belt. The man's face has been edited so it looks like Ryan's chilling like a piece of produce, ready to be checked out. Cue Blake, who chimed in on the comments, "Please stop stealing my personal photos." Badum-ching.
Chrissy Teigen shuts down critics after getting tested for COVID-19
She's kind of the queen of clapbacks on Twitter, but Chrissy Teigen just turned a pre-surgery COVID-19 test into a mini-PSA. On Tuesday, the model and cookbook author shared a video of herself being tested for the new coronavirus — an experience that somehow inspires her to giggle as a swab makes its way through her nose to the back of her head. "Honestly loved it," she captioned the post. As the video made its rounds, some users complained that celebs seem to have easy access to the tests, unlike non-famous folks, according to CNN. "Everyone in LA can get tested for free," Chrissy responded to one user whose tweet has since been deleted. "I'm having surgery and had to. I'm sorry if this offends you." Amazingly, that ended the criticism. "Yea I was made aware. My bad, I deleted the tweet," wrote the original critic, who even ended their reply with a red heart emoji. "In DC we are still struggling to get folks tested and I spoke / tweeted without thinking of context. I own that. Hope your surgery goes well. Chrissy later revealed she was having surgery to remove her breast implants because she's "over it," adding, ""I'd like to be able to zip a dress in my size, lay on my belly with pure comfort! No biggie!"
Billie Eilish lashes out at body shamers in now-viral short film
"Not My Responsibility." That's how Billie Eilish sums up her response to the opinions others have of her, particularly when it comes to how she's judged for covering up her figure with baggy clothes, in a new short film that went viral on Wednesday. The piece features the teen using spoken word to tackle the problems with body shaming while taking off layer after layer of her own clothes. "If I wear what is comfortable, I am not a woman," she says (via the New York Post). "If I shed the layers, I'm a slut. Though you've never seen my body, you still judge it and judge me for it. Why?" she continues. "We make assumptions about people based on their size. We decide who they are, we decide what they're worth. If I wear more, if I wear less, who decides what that makes me? What that means? Is my value based only on your perception? Or is your opinion of me not my responsibility?" Billie, 18, teased the video at a show in Miami before her tour was canceled because of the pandemic.
Gabrielle Union opens up about 'AGT' environment as NBC releases results of internal investigation
In a new cover story for Variety, Gabrielle Union opens up in detail about the allegedly "toxic work environment" she experienced at "America's Got Talent" before, after just one season, she was not invited back despite a contractual option to return to the show. Gabrielle, whose complaints sparked a network investigation of the show, alleges Simon Cowell continued to smoke at work despite her complaint about a severe smoke allergy she said affected her voice and "ability to do my job" for many months. (His rep counters that he smoked outside after her complaint.) The former judge also cites an incident where a white contestant doing impressions donned black gloves to portray a black performer, a la an actor wearing blackface, unequal time for minorities in hair and makeup, and inappropriate comments about her hairstyles in the interview. She points to a racist crack Jay Leno allegedly made about Simon Cowell's dogs looking like menu items at a Korean restaurants, and the fact everyone involved in the show couldn't pick their preferred pronouns as issues, as well. In many cases, she says she felt "isolated" and "othered" for speaking up. Shortly after Variety's story went live, Page Six reported NBC and the Fremantle, which produces the show, had concluded their investigation into Gabrielle's claims and found no wrongdoing. A rep for the network told the outlet the investigation had also failed to indicate Gabrielle was let go because she raised concerns.
Shia LaBeouf faces backlash after winning emerging screenwriters contest
Shia LaBeouf's recent win in an emerging screenwriters competition is not sitting well with his peers — if that's what you can even call the other writers who entered the Sun Valley Film Festival's screenplay competition. This spring, LaBeouf — whose industry experience includes dozens of critically acclaimed films and the screenplay for 2019's "Honey Boy," which grossed $3.3 million worldwide after premiering at Sundance — won the High Scribe writer's prize for his "Minor Modifications" screenplay. The victory got him access to "mentoring from an experienced professional," according to the festival's website. The Wrap points out it also got him a lot of backlash. "I lost a screenwriting competition to Shia LaBeouf. I hope he puts that $1000 and 1-on-1 consultation with a producer to good use," one disgruntled screenwriter tweeted of the star, whose estimated net worth is about $25 million, according to CelebrityNetWorth.com. Other posts echoed a similar tone. "Shia entered the competition as an emerging writer," a rep for LaBeouf told The Wrap. "He is thrilled to be a part of the community and thrives off of any opportunity to gain insight, constructive criticism and knowledge from those with more experience …and that's in regards to any art form." The competition is organized around blind submissions of works that have not yet been optioned. LaBeouf previously entered the script for "Honey Boy" in the PAGE International Screenwriting Awards competition, which prides itself on having "helped launch the careers of some of the most talented screenwriters in the country," while helping finalists "land paid screenwriting assignments." When LaBeouf was named a quarter-finalist, "Honey Boy" was already in production, according to The Wrap.
Andy Cohen says his former nanny is doing 'great' with Anderson Cooper and Wyatt
New dad Anderson Cooper has already copped to leaning on his close friend Andy Cohen for parenting advice and even hand-me-downs. ("I'm inherently cheap," the CNN anchor quipped earlier this month, according to Page Six. "… I wanted my son to be a Depression-era child who grows up wearing hand-me-down clothes.") Andy, meanwhile, revealed recently that he gave up his son Ben's longtime nanny when she switched over to working for Anderson and his son, Wyatt. Turns out it was the right move, nanny-wise. "Things seem to be going great over at the Cooper household and things are good here," Andy tells People, calling the change, "a really good transition at a moment when it's probably not the best time to have a transition." When Anderson announced his baby news a few weeks back, Andy was among the first to congratulate him on Instagram, calling Wyatt a sign of "new life, new hope," and telling his pal's newborn, "I know a friend who can't wait to meet you."
James Corden explains why he had emergency eye surgery
Last month, James Corden announced rather abruptly he'd have to skip filming "The Late Late Show" for a few days after undergoing emergency eye surgery. During a visit to "Ellen" this week, the "Carpool Karaoke" host explained what had happened in further, at times explicit, detail. James told Ellen DeGeneres the pain in his left eye, which he injured in 2012, "flared up again" last year. He began seeing doctors to keep the situation monitored and by the time he filmed "Carpool Karaoke" with Justin Bieber — the one where fans griped about the fact he wasn't really driving — it was in worse shape. "Well, the reason I didn't drive that day was because my eye was really hurting and we were worried it wouldn't be safe," he said, according to Today.com. Then, about three weeks ago, he said the pain was too bad to even open his eye. "The doctor I've been speaking with, he said, 'Look, I think we have to sort this out. I think this has been happening too many times,'" James recalled. "He took one look at my eye, and he said, 'We're gonna operate on it now.' And I said, 'But I've got a show at 5 p.m.' And he said, 'No, you don't.' He said, 'You don't have a show 'til the earliest next week. You've got to do this right now.' So right there and then, which I was quite grateful 'cause I didn't have time to dread it, they just did it. And it's the strangest thing 'cause you're awake, but it's numb, so you can't feel anything. But all the time I just kept going, 'Oh, my God, oh, my God, oh, my God.' And that was it. So, hopefully, touch wood, it's better, but we'll see." As for those graphic details? "They clamp your eye open like 'A Clockwork Orange,' and then you can see what they're doing, but you can't feel it because it's numb,'" he explained. Shudder.
'Pretty Little Liars' star Sasha Pieterse is going to be a mom
Congrats are in order for "Pretty Little Liars" star Sasha Pieterse! The 24-year-old actress announced this week she's expecting her first child with husband Hudson Sheaffer. "We are so beyond excited to finally share our sweet news with all of you," she posted on Instagram on Wednesday (via ET). "We will be welcoming a precious little human this October!" She went on to say the news comes on what was already a special day for the couple: "Today marks our 2nd wedding anniversary and what better way to share our joy then on the day when our lives changed forever (the first time 😉) Motherhood is officially my favorite role ever!" she wrote. Before signing off, she thanked her husband "for making me a mom and for always being my unwavering rock and safe place," and told him he makes her "feel like my truest self when I'm with you," before wishing him a happy anniversary.