Sarah Jessica Parker makes rare comments about Kim Cattrall drama
Sarah Jessica Parker says her falling out with Kim Cattrall has long been portrayed in the press as a two-way street. But it's not actually a "feud" between the two former "Sex and the City" co-stars, SJP says, because "there has been one person talking," not two. "It's so painful for people to keep talking about this 'catfight' — a 'fight' … I've never uttered fighting words in my life about anybody that I've worked with — ever," Sarah Jessica told The Hollywood Reporter's June 1 "Awards Chatter Podcast." "There is not a 'fight' going on. There has been no public dispute or spat or conversations or allegations made by me or anybody on my behalf. I wouldn't do it. That is not the way I would have it," she continued. "So I just wish that they would stop calling this a 'catfight' or an 'argument,' because it doesn't reflect [reality]. There has been one person talking." That person, from Sarah Jessica's perspective, has been Kim, who distanced herself from her former castmates in interviews and on social media years before HBO Max launched its new "SATC" reboot, "And Just Like That." After acknowledging she finds it "very hard to talk about the situation with Kim," Sarah Jessica reflects on her sense of events since 2017, when she says she and her co-stars "didn't do [a third 'SATC'] movie because we didn't want to do it without Kim," who she says was unable to arrive at a workable contract with Warner Bros. Sarah Jessica says Kim started dragging her in public after that, alleging she'd mistreated Kim on the set of "SATC," saying they were never friends and criticizing her for reaching out when Kim's brother died in 2018. "There were just a lot of public conversations about how she felt about the show," Sarah Jessica says, adding that she's worked "really hard to always be decent to everybody on the set" and "there just isn't anyone else who's ever talked about me this way." When the HBO Max project started moving forward, Sarah Jessica says Kim wasn't invited to participate "because she made it clear that that wasn't something she wanted to pursue," adding, "that's not 'slamming' her, it's just learning."
Keep reading for more news …
Lil Nas X, fans react to 2022 BET Awards snub: 'Do better'
In a series of since-deleted tweets on the first day of Pride month, Lil Nas X called out the BET Awards for giving him "an outstanding zero nominations again" after the 2022 nominees were announced this week. Asked why he should have made the cut, the singer reportedly told a commenter, "idk maybe 3 of the biggest songs of last year & a critically acclaimed album," according to Billboard. "I feel like that should've helped me a bit." By most accounts, 2021 was huge for Lil Nas X. Time named him one of the year's 100 most influential people and Billboard ranked him No. 2 on its greatest pop stars of 2021 list. Both outlets pointed to his Grammy-nominated debut album, "Montero (Call Me By Your Name)," which earned nods for three of the top categories in 2022, and his track "Industry Baby," which also scored a Recording Academy nod. Judging from his tweets and comments from his fans, though, the singer's open approach to identifying as gay is too controversial for some. "Doesn't even have to be me nominated," he tweeted. "I just feel like black gay ppl have to fight to be seen in this world and even when we make it to the top mfs try to pretend we are invisible." The singer's fans have also slammed the BET Awards for nominating Lil Nas X's "Industry Baby" collaborator Jack Harlow — who is white and identifies as straight — for Best Male Hip Hop Artist, when Jack's biggest hit in 2021 was his appearance on Lil Nas X's "Industry Baby." "Please explain to me how the BET Awards nominates Jack Harlow and not Lil Nas X??? Their erasure of black queer people is disgusting! Do better," griped one user, according to USA Today. Said another: "Industry Baby did wonders for Jack Harlow but somehow he gets acknowledged by BET and not Lil Nas X. They do not respect themselves." A third vowed not to watch, in part because of Ll Nas X's snub. As of Thursday, BET had not responded to multiple outlets' requests for comment. The 2022 BET Awards air June 26.
Prince Louis, 4, goes viral with hilarious reactions to Trooping the Colour
From "Most days we are all Prince Louis" to "What's your mood today based on the 'PRINCE LOUIS MOOD SCALE' 🤣?" the 4-year-old royal's hilarious reactions to the Trooping the Colour ceremony at Buckingham Palace on June 2 triggered an equally hilarious wave of responses on Twitter. Prince Louis was on the palace balcony with his parents, Prince William and Duchess Kate, and his older siblings, Prince George and Princess Charlotte, helping to kick off his great-grandmother's Platinum Jubilee festivities when photographers started clicking away at Will and Kate's youngest as he put his apparent face-making superpowers on display with an array of exaggerated faces. Reactions from the "boss baby," as one Twitter user called him, ranged from super-impressed to wholeheartedly unimpressed, the latter of which was most evident when the Royal Air Force treated the royal family to a "flypast," complete with zooming jet engines overhead. "Prince Louis is the only royal id like to see land a Netflix deal," quipped one user, seemingly joking about Prince Harry and Duchess Kate's contract with the streamer. "As a parent of a four year old not in line to the throne," cracked another, "Prince Louis we see you and we understand you." Queen Elizabeth II's Platinum Jubilee runs through Sunday, June 5, in honor of the British monarch's 70-year reign.
Amber Heard is "absolutely not" able to pay Johnny Depp the $10.35 million in damages he was awarded on June 1 in the stars' defamation trial. That's according to Amber's lawyer, Elaine Bredehoft, who appeared on the "Today" show the morning after the verdict was announced. The attorney said she believes her client was "demonized" during the proceedings, which she described as a "tale of two trials," according to NBC News. Johnny initially sued his ex-wife for $50 million on grounds she defamed him by writing a 2018 op-ed for the Washington Post about surviving domestic abuse. Though she didn't name him in the piece, the actor's legal team argued claims Amber made about Johnny during their split two years earlier implied he was the abuser she was writing about. Amber countersued Johnny for $100 million, also on grounds of defamation, but for statements made by his lawyers about her accounts of abuse. The jury found in Johnny's favor, awarding him $15 million in damages. That number was cut down to $10.35 million by a statutory maximum in Virginia. The jury determined Amber was entitled to just $2 million. "A number of things were allowed in this court that should not have been allowed, and it caused the jury to be confused," Amber's lawyer said on "Today." Asked if Amber could fork over the nearly $10.4 million fee, the attorney said, "Oh, no, absolutely not." She also said Amber plans to appeal and pointed to evidence like Amber's medical records that she said were "suppressed." She also contrasted the result of the trial in Virginia with Johnny's tabloid libel suit in the U.K., which he lost after the court found there was strong evidence he'd assaulted Amber, despite his denials.
Channing Tatum says he and Jenna Dewan agree their daughter should 'live a real life' before pursuing showbiz
Like its predecessor, Channing Tatum's new children's book, "The One and Only Sparkella Makes a Plan" was inspired in part by the actor's daughter, Everly, 9. But it sounds like he and Everly's mom, Jenna Dewan, won't be extending their little girl's starring role in the books to the upcoming live-action film based on them. "Jenna and I, we've always met eye to eye on this one. It's pretty tough to be a child actor or artist," Channing tells People. "I also believe that if you really want to be a beautiful artist, you have to go live a real life. And I think kids in Hollywood, in general, there's a lot of things that are standing in the way to living a very normal life in the world." If she grows up wanting to pursue acting and dancing like her parents, though, Channing says, "When she's 18, she's lived a full life and she can make her own decisions, then I will put her in anything and everything that I can possibly put her in because she'll be the coolest thing in the world and she is the coolest thing in the world." Channing and Jenna split in 2018. A judge signed off on their divorce in November 2019.
LeBron James is officially a billionaire
LeBron James made history on June 2 as the first active NBA player to join Forbes' list of official billionaires. The Los Angeles Lakers star can thank his wide diversity of assets and savvy approach to deal-making for his estimated $1.2 billion in pre-tax earnings, according to the outlet. In addition to his NBA salary, LeBron's SpringHill Entertainment, which co-produced his blockbuster feature film "Space Jam: A New Legacy," is reportedly worth about $300 million. The veteran hoops player also has equity in a number of his major endorsement deals, along with his investments in companies like Lyft, Forbes reported this week. The outlet notes Michael Jordan is the list's only other pro basketball player, but he joined in 2014, long after he retired from the NBA.
Harvey Weinstein's sex crimes conviction upheld in New York after appeal
On June 2, a five-judge panel in New York ruled Harvey Weinstein's 2020 felony sex crimes conviction should stand, despite his lawyer's claims the former movie producer did not get a fair trial. Harvey, 70, is currently serving a 23-year sentence for that conviction while awaiting trial in Los Angeles on 11 separate sex crimes charges. His legal team appealed the conviction on grounds the judge who heard the case made multiple errors, according to Variety. In particular, he let the jury hear from three women who testified Harvey sexually assaulted them, though he was not charged for the alleged incidents they were referring to, the New York Times reported. But the panel that heard the case determined the testimony those women gave showed the judges more about the producer's relationships with his alleged victims. "…His goal at all times was to position the women in such a way that he could have sex with them, and that whether the women consented or not was irrelevant to him," Justice Angela Mazzarelli wrote of the three women's testimony in the opinion. "We reject defendant's arguments, and affirm the conviction in all respects," she concluded. A rep for the former Weinstein Company exec told Variety his legal team planned to petition the state's highest court, The Court of Appeals. Harvey's trial date in Los Angeles is expected to be announced this month, according to the Times.