Mila Kunis told Ashton Kutcher not to invest in Uber or Bitcoin early on; now she's glad he didn't listen
Ashton Kutcher's proven himself to be a great predictor of tech business trends. He was among the first to invest in Uber, Bitcoin, Airbnb and Skype, all of which went on to change the entire landscape of their respective industries. But he didn't take the plunge on those investments with the support of his better half. "Sometimes you shouldn't listen to your wife," Mila Kunis joked on the April 29 edition of "The Late Show With Stephen Colbert" (via People). Looking back on their relationship, Mila admitted that she's been trying to nix Ashton's solid business ideas for about a decade. "Early in our dating, two things came up," said the "Four Good Days" star, who married her fellow "That '70s Show" castmate in 2015. "He was like, 'Hey, there's this company, it's kind of like a ride share … kind of like a cab company, but anybody can drive the cab,'" she said, recalling his intro to Uber. Mila, whose dad was a cab driver, told her husband, "'That's the worst idea ever.'" Ashton then tried to get her to test the new app. "I was like, 'You're going to put me in a car with a stranger? What is wrong with you?' Like, I was furious at him," she said, laughing. "Second time, he sat me down and was like, 'Hey, Babe, I got to explain this thing to you, tell me if I'm crazy,'" she continued. "He's like, 'There's this thing, it's like mining for money. It's called cryptocurrency, and there's this company' — this is eight-plus years ago — 'it's called Bitcoin.'" Mila pointed out that Bitcoin wasn't FDIC insured, which made her nervous. It apparently made Ashton more eager to get involved. "… I was like, 'Well, I think this is a horrible idea,'" she recalled. "And he went, 'Cool, we're investing in it.' So he didn't listen to me. I mean, this happens all the time."
Keep reading to find out which friend Beyonce Zoomed in on when she was giving birth and more …
'SNL' cast won't be forced to work with host Elon Musk if they're opposed: Report
"Saturday Night Live" cast members who feel strongly opposed to working with Elon Musk when he hosts the show on May 8 can most likely duck out of the episode if they choose to do so. That's according to a Page Six insider, who recently told the outlet, "Speaking historically, if a cast member has been that unhappy, they don't have to do it." The source added that "SNL" brass Lorne Michaels "won't ever make them do anything they don't want to do." Cast members and at least one writer have already sounded off on the controversial Tesla founder's scheduled appearance. After NBC announced he'd be hosting the show, Elon tweeted, "Let's find out just how live Saturday Night Live really is," which immediately irked cast member Bowen Yang. "What the f— does this even mean?" he asked social media followers. Shortly after Elon's tweet, Aidy Bryant seemingly knocked the billionaire by sharing a post from Sen. Bernie Sanders in which he said it's "a moral obscenity" that "the 50 wealthiest people in America today own more wealth than the bottom half of our people." Elon, of course, is in that number, hence Michael Che's joke to Jimmy Fallon earlier this week that Elon will hopefully continue the (non-existent) "SNL" tradition in which hosts gift each cast member with "a couple million dollars." Miley Cyrus, who's slated to join the group as May 8's musical guest, is also taking heat online, according to Page Six. The SpaceX founder has come under fire for a range of remarks, including his skeptical comments on the COVID-19 vaccines, comments about transgender people and the use of pronouns, and a "Matrix"-inspired comment about taking "the red pill" that was widely seen as referencing an "umbrella" term for far-right forums espousing misogynistic and sometimes racist beliefs. Elon's expected to begin rehearsing with the cast on May 4.
Kelly Rowland reveals her son's birth was a virtual Destiny's Child reunion
Even COVID-19 can't stand in the way of the bond between Kelly Rowland and her former Destiny's Child "sisters," Beyonce and Michelle Williams. As Kelly, 40, recently told "People (The TV Show!)," Beyonce, 39, and Michelle, 41, were both at her side, virtually, for the birth of her second child with husband Tim Weatherspoon in January. "We had our family join on Zoom," Kelly said of her son's birth. "They were able to see Noah come into the world. It was beautiful." Others included on the "family" birth zoom were Beyonce's mom, Tina Knowles Lawson, and Tim's mom. Gushing that Bey and Michelle are "awesome, awesome, awesome" aunts, Kelly added that the singers came over to meet Noah "immediately" after his arrival. Kelly's friendship-slash-"sisterhood" with Beyonce goes back to when they were little girls. After Kelly's mom left her father, who was reportedly abusive and an alcoholic, they relocated to Houston when Kelly was 7 or 8. Soon after that, Kelly, who has called her relationship with her own mother "tumultuous," moved in with the Knowles family and has called Tina "Mama T" ever since. Tina also refers to Kelly as one of her daughters. Kelly's biological mother passed away about six years ago following the birth of Kelly and Tim's son, Titan.
George Clooney on turning 60: 'It's better than dead'
With his 60th birthday just around the corner on May 6, George Clooney's dropping some real talk about what it means to enter an advanced new decade. "As far as turning 60, listen," the Oscar winner said at a press conference celebrating the Motion Picture & Television Fund's centennial this week, per ET. "I'm not thrilled with it but it's better than dead. So I'll take it. I got two options. The older you get, the lower your bar gets," he joked. George also admitted that bar is set pretty high on his family front. George noted that he's "happy and blessed" to have settled down with his wife, human rights attorney Amal Clooney, with whom he shares 3-year-old twins Ella and Alexander. George serves on the Board of Directors for the MPTF, an organization that provides financial assistance, residential living and other support services to people in the film industry with limited or no resources.
RELATED: Stars with twins or triplets
Esmé Bianco sues Marilyn Manson for sexual abuse, human trafficking
After multiple women accused Marilyn Manson of sexual and physical abuse, former "Game of Thrones" actress Esmé Bianco has filed suit against the musician, whose real name is Brian Warner. The lawsuit accuses him of sexual abuse, assault and battery, and human trafficking, according to ET. "As millions of survivors like myself are painfully aware, our legal system is far from perfect," Esmé said in a statement released April 30. "This is why I co-created the Phoenix Act, a law which gives precious additional healing time to thousands of domestic violence survivors. But while I fight for a more just legal system, I am also pursuing my right to demand my abuser be held to account, using every avenue available to me." She continued: "For far too long my abuser has been left unchecked, enabled by money, fame and an industry that turned a blind eye. Despite the numerous brave women who have spoken out against Marilyn Manson, countless survivors remain silenced, and some of their voices will never be heard. My hope is that by raising mine I will help to stop Brian Warner from shattering any more lives and empower other victims to seek their own small measure of justice." Esmé previously told The Cut she met the singer in 2005 and worked with him on a vide in 2009. She claims that during that "shoot," Brian threatened her, beat her and raped her repeatedly. She also says that when they were intimate partners, he cut her and photographed the injuries, chased her with an axe, locked her in rooms for long periods of time and verbally abused her. As of April 30, reps for the musician had not yet addressed the lawsuit.
Priyanka Chopra, Nick Jonas set up COVID-19 fundraiser for India: 'My home … is bleeding'
As India battles a devastating second wave of COVID-19 infections, Priyanka Chopra and her husband Nick Jonas are teaming up with the Give India Foundation to raise money for badly needed medical supplies and infrastrucure needs as well as more testing and vaccination sites. The "Quantico" star shared a public plea on her social media this week, explaining why she and Nick launched and have been contributing to the fundraiser (which you can donate to here). "I'm sitting in London and I'm hearing from my friends and family in India about how hospitals are at capacity, there are no rooms in ICUs, ambulances are too busy, oxygen supply is less, crematoriums having mass cremations because the volume of deaths is so much," Priyanka said in an April 29 video post about on Instagram. "India is my home and India is bleeding. And we, as a global community, need to care. And I'll tell you why we need to care: Because unless everyone is safe, no one is safe," she continued. In the caption, the actress explained that Give India is "the largest organization on the ground in India providing Covid relief," and assured followers that, "hatever you can spare, truly makes a difference." India, the second most populated country on Earth, has been recording record numbers of new COVID-19 cases, with more 300,000 people testing positive each day. Authorities have cautioned repeatedly that the health care system in India could be on the brink of collapse if the tide is not stemmed.
Rachel Lindsay is writing her first book of personal essays
Former "Bachelorette" Rachel Lindsay recently announced she's parting ways with the "Bachelor Happy Hour" podcast — and the franchise, in general. But they say when one door closes, another door opens, and for Rachel, that door is opening up to the publishing world. "Been waiting to share this!" the "Extra" correspondent posted on Instagram this week. "So thrilled to finally be able to tell y'all that I have been working on my first book." The book, she said, is aa collection of personal essays called "Miss Me With That." Rachel added, "Ya'll know I won't hold back… I'm telling MY story, sharing my experiences, and opening my heart 🖤." A description from the publisher teases that the book will feature Rachel's thoughts on "what it meant to be the first Black lead on ABC's hit show," as well as stories about her childhood, "her disastrous dating life prior to going on 'The Bachelor,'" and her "career in law." Rachel will also delve into "her evolving female friendships, and her decision to become a reality TV contestant," according to the blurb, while tackling "issues such as the lack of diversity in reality television and the importance of political engagement, protest, voting, and the Black Lives Matter movement." "Miss Me With That" hits shelves Jan. 25, 2022.
Josh Duggar's sister, parents address child pornography indictment
Former "19 Kids and Counting" star Josh Duggar's family is starting to speak out about his child pornography indictment. The 33-year-old father of six, who's expecting a seventh child with wife Anna Duggar, was charged in court via Zoom on April 30 with two counts of child pornography possession stemming from material that includes the depiction of children under the age of 12, according to KNWA. He has pleaded not guilty. In a statement to People, Josh's sister, Jill Duggar Dillard and her husband Derick said only, "We just found out this information yesterday. It is very sad." Jill and her sister Jessa previously came forward as having been among the five girls Josh was previously investigated for molesting, four of whom were his sisters. Josh's parents, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar also released a statement about Josh's arrest this week. "We appreciate your continued prayers for our family at this time," the statement began. "The accusations brought against Joshua today are very serious. It is our prayer that the truth, no matter what it is, will come to light, and that this will all be resolved in a timely manner. We love Josh and Anna and continue to pray for their family." If convicted, Josh could face up to 20 years behind bars and fines of $250,000 for each count, according to the New York Times.
Leah McSweeney considered hiding her alcohol issues on 'RHONYC'
Maybe all that drunken, on-camera Tiki torch throwing was worth it after all … "Real Housewives of New York City" star Leah McSweeney, who recently said on Instagram she's been sober for a year, opened up about her televised struggles with alcohol during a panel discussion for the Paley Center for Media this week. "I think what I get approached about [by the public] the most — whether it's in-person or direct messages or emails — is talking about addiction issues and alcoholism and how happy they were about how open I was about it, which, I actually didn't want to be open about it," Leah said at one point, according to Page Six. She went on to say that before her first season started filming, she recalls, "… being like, 'I'm not talking about drinking. I'm not making it a thing.'" Referencing the ongoing storyline that ultimately played out about Leah's relationship with booze, Andy Cohen, who was also on the panel, joked, "and then what happened?" Said Leah, "And then that's exactly what happened!" In her very first episode, Leah ended up saying she had "a weird relationship with alcohol." She explained that she'd recently returned to drinking after a nine year break. Looking back on her openness with alcohol now, though, Leah sees she's helped viewers gain new perspective on their own relationships with booze. (She said on Instagram in March that she quit drinking again before seeing any of her "RHONY" season.) "In hindsight, I'm so happy we did that," Leah said on the panel. "I am so grateful, because I get so many direct messages and comments about it, and people who are like, 'Hey, I stopped also,' or 'I have some years sober, and I watched you and [decided] I really don't want to start drinking again.' Hearing that is very, very powerful."